[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: PASOE concurrency problems in tcman command

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

I'm wondering if anyone knows of restrictions in the use of the tcman command in PASOE . Generally I would expect the tcman env to respond as follows. (output below) proenv>cd C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\bin\ proenv>tcman env catalina home: C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe catalina base: C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1 catalina tmpdir C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\temp catalina pid: C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\logs\catalina-oepas1.pid java home: C:\Progress\OpenEdge\jdk jre home: manager http port: 8815 manager https port:8816 manager shut port: 8817 manager URL: http://localhost:8815/manager config type: instance config alias: oepas1 config parent: C:/Progress/OpenEdge/servers/pasoe server running: 1 instance tracking: True instance file: C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\conf\instances.windows server process-id: 9464 window title: security model: developer service: true The documentation for the command is found here: OpenEdge 11.7 Documentation Unfortunately there seem to be timing issues with this. Depending on what else is going on in the system, I may get other types of messages in my response from tcman env, such as this one: Exception: The process cannot access the file 'C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\logs\catalina-oepas1.pid' because it is being used by another process. in tcmanager at line : Exiting with fatal exception condition Or this one: rm : Cannot find path 'C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\temp\catalina-pid.tmp' because it does not exist. At C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\bin\tcmanager.ps1:589 char:13 + rm -path "$_tmppidfile" + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\OpenEdge\WRK...atalina-pid.tmp:String) [Remove-Item], ItemNotFoundEx ception + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveItemCommand catalina home: C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe catalina base: C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1 A lot of stuff in PASOE depends upon the successful operation of tcman env and its corresponding powershell script that is used internally (tcmanager.ps1). I would like the output of this to be less fragile. I suspect the timing issues are related to other concurrent operations that may be underway at the same time (eg. perhaps from OEE or admin server). I suspect that the tcman command hasn't been tested yet for concurrency in a large server environment. It is especially suspicious that the error messages indicate the use of hard-coded temp files which multiple tcman commands (or other related operations) may all be trying to create or exclusively lock or delete at the same time: eg... C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\temp\catalina-pid.tmp C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\logs\catalina-oepas1.pid Any pointers would be appreciated. Given the fact that tcman env takes about a second to run and is run quite frequently, it seems problematic if this thing has concurrency issues.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.