We have a customized application made with Progress 91b
And is compatible with windows 7

The developer said "it's not compatible with windows 8 or 10 "
I'm trying to install Progress 91b on Windows 10, virtualized,
And it was installed more or less ok, a couple of warnings ,
but the application fails to start :(

I know Progress 91b is an old version and we should upgrade quickly,
but right now I'm tied to 91b
and I wanted to ask you guys if is someone have had a similar problem?
Thanks

Last edited:

TheMadDBA

One of the many perils of being on an ancient unsupported version of OE is not being able to use new versions of operating systems.

Running V9 inside of a VM might not work well for you either. It depends on how well the VM mimics the older OS version.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Do you have all of the source code?

If you have the source code then the developer's claim that it will not work with more modern versions of Windows and Progress is probably false.

The only area in doubt would be any code that specifically ties you to particular Windows components and technologies that may no longer be available (and those sorts of things will also be a problem in your port to Win10). Even if you are tied to such things they have probably been replaced by something much better and the issues can be quickly addressed.

If your application is plain old standard "Progress UI" then you should have no such issues.

You would be better served to spend your time and energy migrating to a supported release of Progress than fumbling around trying to get something as ancient, obsolete and unsupported as 9.1b running in an environment that is actively hostile to it.

NohemiSM

Thank you guys!
I agree with the -we must upgrade- idea. Sadly, it's still a desire.

Good news :) , I was able to install Progress 91b And the application on Windows 10,
there was a warning message about Java VM, and I had to register an OCX control
( I don't know the reason the software provider claimed that it was not compatible...maybe
they didn't yet have installed their software on Windows 10) ,

"The application failed to start" it was because, I was copying files over wifi, and I think some files were missing,
when I did a full copy, the applications started normally, likewise Windows 7,
I did two installations, one on Virtual Box, and the other over a small netbook,

Now I know that computers with Windows 10 preinstalled can execute the application. It's a small victory because
I was having trouble finding an suitable laptop.