Progress 8.3b workgroup on Win 10?

patrickwilson82

Hello there. I'm new to the World of Progress. My company has an extremely old system that is using Progress 8.3B. I was hoping to install this on a Windows 10 64-bit client and was wondering if this was possible. We were previously able to run it in XP-mode in Windows 7, but that is not an option with 10. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

andre42

@patrick: I suppose it is not your decision to make to migrate to a new Progress version?
If it absolutely necessary I would just install the application in a VM (XP-mode in Windows 7 nothing else but a VM). If it worked in XP-mode then you could run XP in the VM, Windows 2000 might be more compatible and use less resources.
I'd hope that your application is only needed on one machine, if you run an older Progress version on an older OS as a server you will definitely have security vulnerabilities.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If you have the source code then upgrading to a current release is technically trivial and the benefits from a performance, reliability, security and support standpoint are enormous.

The actual barriers to upgrading usually have to do with money.

patrickwilson82

@patrick: I suppose it is not your decision to make to migrate to a new Progress version?
If it absolutely necessary I would just install the application in a VM (XP-mode in Windows 7 nothing else but a VM). If it worked in XP-mode then you could run XP in the VM, Windows 2000 might be more compatible and use less resources.
I'd hope that your application is only needed on one machine, if you run an older Progress version on an older OS as a server you will definitely have security vulnerabilities.
Unfortunately it is not my decision to make. Progress is what our Syteline program runs off of (if you are familiar with that at all). I have to install Progress on each client to get it to connect to our Syteline server. At this point I'm just trying to figure out what I can do to hopefully get us over to Windows 10 since the clock is ticking on 7.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
It may not be your decision but you are certainly in a position to provide pertinent information to the actual decision makers. It is difficult to imagine what sort of reasoning leads to keeping the Windows desktop up to date while the applications that actually run the business are neglected.

Most, if not all, Syteline users have the source and can upgrade if they make the effort. The technical effort is probably quite a bit less than trying to keep a 25 year old platform on life support with increasingly deprecated, fragile and insecure infrastructure. If your company has anything like an IT audit function you're probably getting a lot of bad marks for all of the unnecessary risks that you are running.

andre42

I absolutely agree with Tom Bascom in this case.
Since you are talking about a client-server-application you should definitely try to upgrade to a current Progress release.