Piew Editor

Zach Ahmed

I downloaded Free Progress Editor called Piew. I created a simple script:

FOR EACH ITEM NO-LOCK
DISPLAY cost.

When I click on Check Syntax option from the menu, I get the following message:
No valid path for PROGRESS executable is defined. Check your settings.

Please help
thanks

Zach

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
"Check Syntax" is going to try to compile your code, which requires you to have an OpenEdge product installed that includes a compiler license.

Do you have any OpenEdge products installed?

Zach Ahmed

Hi Rob,
I do not have any OpenEdge product installed. Is there a free version of OpenEdge or do I need a licensed one ? I can order the licensed OpenEdge, is there a certain kind I need to get.

As I am new to Progress database, can appreciate any help I can get.

Thank You
Zach

Zach Ahmed

Hi Rob,
I installed the Classroom Edition of the OE Developers Kit . I still get the No Valid path for Progress executable is defined error when I either try to compile or check the syntax.

Do I need to sync Piew editor with the OpenEdge in order to run my simple select statement ?

Since I am a beginner to Progress Database world, I may be missing something.

thanks again for your help
Zach

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I don't know Piew but I assume there is a setting where you can point it to a client executable (e.g. _progres.exe or prowin32.exe) or just to the OpenEdge installation directory (aka the DLC directory, or %DLC%).

The author of Piew posts on here so maybe a post in his thread would get you the answer you need.
Piew - Free Progress Code Editor

PDECODE

There is setting in Piew where you need set path to your Progress executable. Check syntax, Compile & Run command just call Progress on background to do this job. Also you must sett .ini and .pf configuration files.

1599200859666.png

PDECODE

Check settings in your startup file *.pf. You probably miss connection string to working database.
You must use connection to working database not to the PROGRESS empty environment startup file. Piew doesn't know what database should use.

Last edited: