.pf file questions

DGARD

Hi

This may be a stupid question but here it goes:

The problem is that we have serveral products that are built the same way and in our installation scripts we use the same progress\dlc\bin\startup.pf. But now we have aquired a product that needs a totally different startup.pf. I really dont want to ship a special progress installation for this new product instead I want to use the same as I use for the other products. So my question is:

If I when I create the schortcut to the new application specify the -pf different.pf option does it "override" all the settings in the dlc\bin\startup.pf?

TIA

Per Nergård

abandres

Hi there,

About your question, yes, if you have an application and you use the -pf option and specify your own pf file that application takes it as its startup.pf.

you can have as many Pf as you want and you can use them in the short cut you prefer.

I hope this anwser your question.

Have a nice day.

It depends what you means by "override". The startup.pf is never ignored, so the parameters that you specify will be used by all Progress sessions on that machine.

But Progress always accepts the last value for a parameter that is was given so in that sense, you can "override" the parameter values specified in the startup.pf, by providing different values for the same parameters in the application .pf.

The trouble is, not all parameters have values or "opposites" and unless supported in the 4GL you can't switch it off once it has been specified. For example, the -E parameter can't be disabled once specified, but you can override it at run-time using the SESSION:NUMERIC-FORMAT attribute.