PEG - new category?

Skc

Hi

I was away for > 1 year . Now I am back and I noticed there's another category called "PEG (Progress Email Group)". Is this category tapping into another forum elsewhere? Is this an alternative group? Would the same features that work here work in PEG category - things like 'notify me via email' or 'email is private' etc?

Thanks for any reply.
Skc

Crittar

Hi Skc,

PEG is, as you say, Progress Email Group. This is a separate forum which works in a different way from ProgressTalk: It is purely email based although I believe they have some form of search engine so that you can search through historical replies.

Questions are submitted to them via email and the response comes to you via email. Provided you are prepared to accept the overhead of several emails per day (many of which may not be relevant to you) it is a useful forum. Personally during my membership of PEG I found the volume of emails too great, it really is a matter of personal choice.

If you want to see more of a background it may be worth your while reading the thread 'PEG and xenophobia' in the chit chat forum on ProgressTalk.

Skc

Hullo Chris

I have just posted a question to the PEG forum from here using ProgressTalk. There was no error and the Posting went through. I thought that my posting would also appear automatically in the actual PEG forum - but it appears that this is not so. So it's just for Read-only purpose?

BTW I prefer this more modern looking Web-based forum. :biggrin:

Regards
Skc

Crittar said:
Hi Skc,

PEG is, as you say, Progress Email Group. This is a separate forum which works in a different way from ProgressTalk: It is purely email based although I believe they have some form of search engine so that you can search through historical replies.

Questions are submitted to them via email and the response comes to you via email. Provided you are prepared to accept the overhead of several emails per day (many of which may not be relevant to you) it is a useful forum. Personally during my membership of PEG I found the volume of emails too great, it really is a matter of personal choice.

If you want to see more of a background it may be worth your while reading the thread 'PEG and xenophobia' in the chit chat forum on ProgressTalk.

Crittar

Skc,

The PEG details are imported into this forum as read only. PEG (for some reason best known to itself) seems to have a 'downer' on ProgressTalk.

Many members of ProgressTalk read the PEG forum so you may get a response but to be more certain it would probably be to your advantage to post your question in a suitable forum here on ProgressTalk.

If you want the PEG membership to consider the question as well then you will need to sign up for PEG and submit directly to them.

Hope this helps.

Skc

Its clear to me now. But it may not be to new users here. They may make the same mistake as I to 'post' questions to the PEG forum from here and then wondering why there's no reply :confused: . Perhaps there should be some 'Notice' about this.

Thanks for your explanation.

Regards
Skc

Crittar said:
Skc,

The PEG details are imported into this forum as read only. PEG (for some reason best known to itself) seems to have a 'downer' on ProgressTalk.

Many members of ProgressTalk read the PEG forum so you may get a response but to be more certain it would probably be to your advantage to post your question in a suitable forum here on ProgressTalk.

If you want the PEG membership to consider the question as well then you will need to sign up for PEG and submit directly to them.

Hope this helps.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Skc said:
Its clear to me now. But it may not be to new users here. They may make the same mistake as I to 'post' questions to the PEG forum from here and then wondering why there's no reply :confused: . Perhaps there should be some 'Notice' about this.

Thanks for your explanation.

Regards
Skc
I agree it can be misleading... I'll customize the layout for those forums to make it clearer that replies won't automatically be sent to the PEG email lists.

Skc

Yes good move.

Suggestion: Maybe you want to consider adding the word "READ-ONLY" to the orange banner/title that says "PEG (Progress Email Group)".

Regards
Skc

Chris Schreiber said:
I agree it can be misleading... I'll customize the layout for those forums to make it clearer that replies won't automatically be sent to the PEG email lists.