Question PDFInclude 3.3.3 -> Error 560

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Maybe I'm biased but I would strongly recommend against com-handles.
Agreed. Using COM to create documents was an acceptable solution when it was the only solution. But Microsoft themselves recommend against and do not support running client applications (Word, Excel) as headless, server-side applications as they were inherently never designed to be used that way. For that reason they created automation servers to address that need.

Also, given that Office document formats are now published as open standards, you don't need to use Microsoft tools at all to create them.

ForEachInvoiceDelete

I might have the wrong end of the stick but i am assuming he was using pdf include in a native progress, client side application. (With his mention of workstations etc)

Having experience of using com-handles this way i never noticed any performance issues with creating documents and interfacing with outlook.

If it was taking minutes to generate a moderate sized document i would lean towards the ABL code being an issue. I have created full page invoices with images via excel, saved as a pdf, attached the pdfs and sent them via outlook in less than a second, all with the user being blissfully unaware.

The only time i even had to look into a resource aspect was when i wasn't closing the excel application correctly and ended up spawning hundreds of excel instances :( But again, my fault, not com-handles fault.

I do however entirely agree that it being OS specific is a massive drawback.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
YMMV :)

However, with OpenXML it would be milliseconds with practically no memory, CPU etc. resource but again I'm biased :)

In regard to Word Automation Services, they can be used for converting to PDF and other file formats but in order to do mail merges or document manipulations you'll need to use the OpenXML SDK or other...

Rashi

Hi,
I have created an image file using pdf417 tool and inserted it to document but now I couldn't read that image file.
So what should I do?
Can anyone give solution for this?

Rashi

hi Rashi,

there is no built-in support for pdf417 in pdfinclude

so you'll have to find a pdf417 tool that creates an image that you can insert into your document.

hope this helps!

Hi joey,

I have created an image file using pdf417 tool and inserted it to document but now I couldn't read that image file.

Could you please tell me how to fix this?