passing info between databases

I would like to ask a quick question. In my environment I have both Progress and ORACLE databases. At times I need to pass information betwween the two. What is the best way to get this done?

It would depend on whether you are more familiar with Progress 4GL code or SQL92 code.

If Progress 4GL then get hold of the oracle Dataserver for Progress.

If SQL92 then you need to start the SQL broker on the Progress database and connect to that using an SQL92 client.

Database to database - You could also investigate PeerDirect which may offer some kind of ODBC based database to database semi-replication.

It sounds like this will be bi-directional so be careful about different changes to the same record in both databases at the same time!

toby.Harman said:
It would depend on whether you are more familiar with Progress 4GL code or SQL92 code.

If Progress 4GL then get hold of the oracle Dataserver for Progress.

If SQL92 then you need to start the SQL broker on the Progress database and connect to that using an SQL92 client.

Database to database - You could also investigate PeerDirect which may offer some kind of ODBC based database to database semi-replication.

It sounds like this will be bi-directional so be careful about different changes to the same record in both databases at the same time!

I use SQL on my oracle databases but I am very unfamiliar with SQL92, the sytax to me is very diferent. Is there a class available that you know of? Once I have more sql92 savy how do I move data? Is there a way to connect to both an orcal and a PRogress database using the sql92 client?

OK - So on your Oracle database you are using PL/SQL.

In Progress you can use the version of SQL that is considered to be the basic required functionality. This should mean that a lot of the clever stuff that Oracle have put in is not available, but the core command set is available.

As to classes, I don't think Progress offer a class in SQL92 since this is the industry standard, however they may be able to offer some consulting in how to do what you are trying to do. Contact your local Sales or Tech Support office to sort this out with them.

If you are doing straight replication then it may be best to consider PeerDirect.