Passing data out of Progress

dmridnouer

Hello,
We are having an outside vendor create an application for us using VB and C++. From this application, we want to start a Progress session and run a screen that we have developed in Progress. The idea is that since this screen is already written, it will save the vendor time (and us money). We have been doing some testing in-house and have been successful at starting a Progress session from VB and even passing parameters to the screen using the '-param' option.
The trouble that we are having is passing a value back to the VB application. I have tried setting an evironment variable in Progress and reading it in VB. Progress will set the environment var fine, but VB only seems to read it based on how it was set when VB started. I do not want to write to a file in Progress and read it from VB unless there is no other way.
We are using Windows 98, Progress 9.1A.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Ridnouer
Project Administrator
Musco Lighting
dave.ridnouer@musco.com

ttkerber

<B>
DISCLAIMER
</B>
<I>
I am a newbie with Progress and only semi skilled in VB.
</I>

If your VB application can access the Progress db write your return values to the Progress db then read them in VB.

If you can't do that a file would probably be the simplest solution. You could also try using TCP/IP to communicate with VB from/to Progress. You could also write a COM component to communicate. There's probably other ways. It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish and what you already know how to do.

There might(very probable) be a better solution to your problem but if you get stuck you can look into these ideas.

Best of luck with your application.

Tim Kerber