Openedge 11.2 on Windows Server 2019

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It might but I don't know why you would want to. Old releases aren't certified to run on new OSes. If you are on a maintenance contract, you can upgrade to a newer release like 11.7. You won't even need to recompile your code.

If this is a vendor-supplied application, you should talk to them about getting to a newer release. 11.2 has been in retired status for over three years now.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Whilst technically true about not recompiling, if your code makes use of things like the Ultra Controls, then you may well find you do need to recompile due to changes in Assembly versions across OE versions.

Len Kramer

Thanks Rob and Cringer for the feedback.
It's about a custom built business application in 11.2 at a client location that I perform some maintenance on, with appserver functions on a Windows 2008 server at a server centre. The server centre wants to upgrade to W.Server 2019, but I'm not sure whether that client is still on a maintenance contract so I just wanted to check all the options.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
The server centre wants to upgrade to W.Server 2019, but I'm not sure whether that client is still on a maintenance contract so I just wanted to check all the options.
I understand the desire to get to a supported OS release. But I would expect the client to have the same desire to keep the application platform current and well supported. To that end, assuming this application is mission-critical, they should be on maintenance if they aren't already, and they should plan to get to a recent OpenEdge release.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
That's good; they can upgrade their licenses for free.

As Cringer notes though, due diligence is still required to determine if the code has external dependencies on Progress or other code that may have changed between 11.2 and the newer release. For example, WebSpeed applications often modify or depend on Progress' web-disp.i.

That doesn't mean they can't upgrade of course. It just requires planning and testing.