Question OpenEdge 10.2B + WebSpeed + ProDataSet

Anemia

Hi, we have one Web application on OpenEdge 10.1B.
When we installed OpenEdge 10.2B and compile and run same code, app was much slower. We used ProDataSet in programming Web pages.

My question is ProDataSet supported in OpenEdge 10.2B WebSpeed ???

tnx.

lee.bourne

I think it's unlikely to be something related to 10.1A vs 10.1B, more likely something to do with the webbroker settings or even your webserver itself. Is there a difference in response times serving up static files?

Have you still got 10.1A installed? Can you increase the debug level on both the 10.1A and 10.1B webbrokers and compare the speeds of various procedures. What makes you think it is ProDataset related?

Regards,

Lee

TheMadDBA

I can't think of any issues between those versions that would cause slowdowns. One of the things that Progress/OpenEdge is very good at is maintaining backwards compatibility.

You need to start comparing other things like:

DB startup parameters
Client startup and connection parameters
Machine/Network differences

Also make really sure you are actually running object code and not source code.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
My question is ProDataSet supported in OpenEdge 10.2B WebSpeed ?
Yes. I can't think of a reason why 10.2B should be slower. Do you modify any Progress-provided web code?

First, do as TheMadDBA says.
Second, assuming you confirm that your configurations are the same, profile both applications (10.1B and 10.2B) and see where you're spending your time in each.
Third, run your agents with -y and check your stats in client.mon; maybe there's a surprise there.
Fourth, if you're doing data access, it doesn't hurt to look at your CRUD stats to ensure they look the same in both versions.
Fifth, double-check what other workload exists on relevant parts of your infrastructure (webspeed transaction server, database server, web server, network segments). Maybe something external is skewing your test results.