Online backup (or close) - suggestions?

Dave Colbert

First time poster. Please forgive my Progress ignorance <grin>.

RS6000 (AIX 4.3.2)
Progress 8.3 (character)
1-Multi extent db (roughly 2Gb)
1-second db (not with extents) (2MB)
4mm tape 12/24 DDS3
OS & data are each mirrored to separate secondary drives
Distribution package from a VAR

We currently proshut both db's and cpio from root thru all directories to get everything (yes-- I know, I know....but this is their standard backup script for all their 100+ customers). It currently takes ~2hr 40min for my backup. I'm looking for some other ways that I could back this up and be online within an hour or so. Please critique as I may be way off base.

#1 - buy another drive and procopy(?) the db to the extra drive, then back that one up to tape
#2 - use/buy a Progress "online" backup solution (probkup?)
#3- use/buy a 3rd party "online" backup solution
#4 - ?

I don't want to get into incremental backups - rather have it all. I heard rumors that 8.3 version of online backup (probkup?) still didn'twork quite right. I may be misinformed.

TIA!

Dave Colbert

:D

Online Nackup (or near thing)

I have used online backup extensively and found it fine.

I would go with (for absolute speed) adding another spindle.

You can do an online (or offline) backup using probkup to another disk. This should back your databases up in about 10 minutes.

Then cart the whole lot off to tape except the backup directories.

I would also investigate using a dump utility like ufsdump to do the backup. This will do incrementals quite easily.

Toby

dkellgren

I've used ONLINE of probkup since atleast 8.2 and never had an issue with it. I've found the probkup and prorest (restore) to be very solid.

Toby is right too - back it up to disk, then port to tape.

We no longer do online though. We're in 9.1C now and I shut them down every night to truncate my BI's.

Definately check out the -com (compress) option.