OE to database

JustMe

I am new to progress and the progress database. We do not seem to have security turned on in the database yet (one of my many new tasks) but the OE when connected will not let me do queries against the databases. I created the connection and can see the database, tables, indexes etc …

BUT when I look at the columns in the “DB Details” under Preview, preview is blank and I have the error:
[DataDirect][OpenEdge JDBC Driver][OpenEdge]Access denied(Authorization failed) (7512)

As far as I can tell there are not any userIDs or passwords for the database. (Unless there is a default one) I tried progress as the ID with no password for the connection but it didn’t help.

I also get an error when running a query in the SQL Editor tab, it is:
[DataDirect][OpenEdge JDBC Driver][OpenEdge] Table/View/Synonym not found (7519)

the editor will do the intellisense (Autocomplete) for the tables and fields.

The version is 10.2b 05
I am running eclipse on windows XP servicepack 3
The database is running on SLES11 linux

The databases can be accessed through progress programs.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

JustMe (Rich)

RealHeavyDude

The OpenEdge database is no SQL database in the first place. It has a SQL engine that you need to configure because it is not working as you might expect it out-of-the-box.

At the minimum you need to configure SQL access. In opposite to the 4GL engine (which serves the Progress ABL clients) where no security is in place out-of-the-box (revoke philosophy) the SQL engine has security in place out-of-the-box (grant philosophy). You have two options to access the database - you can either use the credentials of the OS account under which the database was created to do a first connect via ODBC/JDBC, or you create the user SYSPROGRESS with a password of your choice on the 4GL engine through the data administration tool (this special user account will have dba privileges granted). From there you either create users through the SQL engine with the corresponding SQL syntax and grant them privileges as you need them, or you create the users via the data administration tool and grant them privileges with the corresponding SQL syntax.

On a note: If you plan to use the SQL engine for more than just a test it is highly recommended that you configure a secondary login broker dedicated to the ODBC/JDBC clients and use the primary login broker exclusively for ABL clients. Furthermore, you need to run UPDATE STATISTICS on a regular basis otherwise your query performance will be from bad to worse.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

JustMe

administration tool (this special user account will have dba privileges granted). From there you either create users through the SQL engine with the corresponding SQL syntax and grant them privileges as you need them, or you create the users via the data administration tool and grant them privileges with the corresponding SQL syntax.

On a note: If you plan to use the SQL engine for more than just a test it is highly recommended that you configure a secondary login broker dedicated to the ODBC/JDBC clients and use the primary login broker exclusively for ABL clients. Furthermore, you need to run UPDATE STATISTICS on a regular basis otherwise your query performance will be from bad to worse.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Thanks RealHeavyDude, the creation account UID and PW worked.
being new to Progress and I have not made it through the tutorials yet, what are the Progress "administration tools" and which one do I use for checking and setting up accounts? I've been using progress for two days now. :-S

Thanks for the help