ODBC for SQL Server

abandres

Hello,

what can I do to connect from Progress 9.1c databese to SQL Server, I heard about Dataserver but what is that?, I have been developing progress software for more than 3 years but this is the first time that I have to send data to another Database (SQL Server), can anybody help me?

Ross Culver

ODBC Connection to SQL

If you'll set your options for this forum to allow reviewing older threads you find a wealth of information specifically relating to connecting both SQL and Access to Progress using the Merant ODBC 3.6X drivers. Over the past 3 months there has been alot of discussion about this capability. Practically everything you need to know has been put on this forum over these past few months.

If you can't find these threads, let me know of contact this sites administrator.

Ross Culver
Texas Metal Works, Inc.
rculver@texmet.com

abandres

Re: ODBC Connection to SQL

Thanks Ross,

I found all the threads and realiced that there are so many people trying to do what I want to do. well I read a lot about Merant but I did not see step by step the way to do that, I got the merant but I don't know what to do.

besides why Progress says that I need a DataServer what is that ?, are they talking about Merant?

Ross Culver

Merant ODBC Resources

Try this link http://www.merant.com/products/datadirect/_odbc/techresources/productdoc/otdocument.asp

With regard to the DataServer, though I've never used it, it appears to be a more advanced (and costly) ODBC manager which in essence incorporates the ODBC drivers into a data/connection management application.

If you learn how to use the less expensive drivers and they provide the solutions you need, why go with the DataServer?

I should mention that with only the drivers we are able to use the same DNS for Access, MS Query, SQL, third party shipping manifest application and we can pull from and write to Progress tables.

Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Ross

Ross Culver

DataServer

I may have been wrong about the DataServer. We have it and I'm checking it out now.

I'll let you know what I find out and my impressions of it.

Ross

abandres

Re: DataServer

thank you Ross, you really helped me with my problem, rigth now I am reading all the information about Merant and I think I will be able to connect soon of course I have to do some test but now I know what to do.

Again thanks.