OBDC connection for Progress v6.3

LarryD

6.3 is around 30 years old give or take. I wouldn't expect there to be much if any help since there isn't that many of us still around that actually used it.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It might also help to write a requirement that is more than one sentence.

You are asking about connecting a database to another database, which doesn't make sense to me. Is there a client in this scenario? Or do you have a Progress 6.3 database from which you want to export data and then import the schema and data into a database on some other database platform?

LuisC

Thank you for your responses.
I work with a Progress 6.3 database and I want to access data in it to build reports. Actually I only can access to data through pre-build txt reports.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
In the Progress 6.3 era text file interfaces were the state of the art.

There is no ODBC or the like for Progress 6.3. As Larry points out 6.3 is 30+ years old: History of Progress Versions | The OpenEdge Hive

The earliest Progress release that you might be able to hope to use a modern SQL reporting tool with is version 9 and even that is kind of questionable. Version 10 would certainly be better.

The current release is version 12.

The good news is that if you have the source code for the application it is probably pretty trivial to upgrade.

LuisC

Thank you for your responses!
I´m trying to dump all tables and then import to SQL.
Although in version 6.3 Export Delimiter doesn´t work. Anyone knows how to dump tables with delimiter in v6.3?
Thank you

ezequiel

Thank you for your responses!
I´m trying to dump all tables and then import to SQL.
Although in version 6.3 Export Delimiter doesn´t work. Anyone knows how to dump tables with delimiter in v6.3?
Thank you
My guess is you'll need to write it,, like "EXPORT cVar1 + "," + cVar2 + "," + ...."

Leinad

Hi all,

In 6.3, as in latest versions, you can use : INPUT FROM xxxx.txt, IMPORT field1 field2. (but without using DELIMITER), INPUT THROUGH (unix).
If you have text files with a delimiter other than space (like ";" or "," in CSV), you can use quoter utility ($DLC/bin/quoter) to format your file (add quotes, change delimiter...).
It's still distributed and documented (I can't add the link).
(apologizes if I made mistakes, it's my first post).