Newbie: ODBC Problem

David

I am a newbie both to this discussion group and to Progress.

I am NOT sure if this is the correct place for the but here goes.
I installed ProVision Plus 9.0B with a complete Installation on Windows NT machine.
Then after it is complete and the machine was rebooted, I go into Adminstrator Tools' ODBC Data Source. Under the User DSN tab, I click add. I select the Progress. Then I fill in the Host Name with the IP Address of the machine, and Port #31, and gave the DB Name, Data Source Name, and User ID. I then selected apply. Then I hit Test Connect. It brings up a screen marked "Logon to Progress SQL92 Driver". I hit OK after entering the password. I then receive the following:

Warning
[MERANT][ODBC PROGRESS driver][PROGRESS]Error in Network Daemon

1) What did I do wrong/what did I NOT do?
2) How do I fix this problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

rich_t

David,

I am assuming that you are attempting to connect to the ODBC broker/driver on the server side using port 31. I don't use Merant, I use Intersolv, so I may be speaking out of turn here, but I think you need to provide the service name, that is held in your services file, as opposed to the actual port number.

So, under NT, in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\services you need an entry like:

odbcserver 31/tcp

I have to admit though that using user sockets in that range is a bit unusual. (2000 and above is more common)

Hope this helps,
Rich

TColeman

Merant driver

We had the same problem. Progress V9.0B comes with V3.5 Merant ODBC driver and you need V3.6. We downloaded a demo version from the Merant site and it works fine. So either you can purchase it from Merant or upgrade Progress to V9.1 which comes with the correct driver.

HTH,

Terri