My First MongoDB World Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris Doran

When you travel to NYC for a conference, it goes without saying that you expect a fun and lively event. This week’s MongoDB World, my first experience at MongoDB World, proved to be even more fun and lively than expected! While I would love to make reference to the humongous levels of energy exhibited, any joke would downplay the true excitement shown by all at the show this week. Think: enthusiasm for the World Cup… and you’re pretty much imagining the sentiment at this year’s event.

crowd-at-mongo.png

Coming to the show for the first time, I expected to hear from attendees that they were just testing out MongoDB at this point. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that a majority of the companies I spoke to at the show had already deployed MongoDB with business critical data. There were several companies who were even working on projects to migrate their data from relational sources into MongoDB.

As I learned about the cool and exciting ways organizations were using MongoDB, I also learned about the work and challenges they experienced while trying to integrate MongoDB into the enterprise IT ecosystem. Conversation after conversation continued to reinforce that companies want to connect MongoDB via standards-based SQL. Many expressed the need to remove their MongoDB data from the “data island” while also maintaining the performance and unique advantages MongoDB offers. Our slogan, “SQL in a NoSQL World,” proved to be very fitting.

sql-in-no-sql-world.png

There were also some key points from Cloudera CEO, Mike Olsen’s keynote (which I tweeted at @ChrisDoran6) that hit home with me. He stressed that with the creation of so many new technologies and systems, the data universe of the future will be comprised of many systems and technologies that collaborate with each other. As a company focused on connecting the world’s data, Progress DataDirect is at the center of this future. With our rich history of developing ODBC standards for relational connectivity and our new connectivity, such as our MongoDB connector, we provide the breadth of tools for the complete connectivity you’re going to need in the data universe of the future.

Over the next few weeks we will share more thoughts and lessons learned from MongoDB World. We will also host a MongoDB-focused webinar on July 9th that you don’t want to miss, so sign up today. And finally, if you’d like to try the new DataDirect connectivity to MongoDB, you can do that too, here.

I can’t believe this was my first ever MongoDB conference; it felt like number 10. Here’s to many more!

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.