Question More ergonomic view

Hello,

I want to make my window gui more attractive to my user. But I don't know exactly how. I would like to be closed to what you can do with windows graphical object like a browse with treeview like this:
1599746058911.png
I don't know how to do it. If you have idea I will be glad to read them :)

What is your graphical style ? Mine is like this:
1599746175921.png
Thank you in advance .

Best Regards,

- Vivien -

Salut Vivien
What technology are you using for the GUI development?
Is it the basic Progress UI defined through the Appbuilder or something else? Could also be ADM1 or ADM2, or "outside" of the Progress world, like a .Net UI?
If yes then there is a browse object there (not treeview-browse, only browse) which could help.
++
JC

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
If you are on a modern Progress version then you can use Telerik Ultra Controls or Infragistics Ultra Controls on .Net forms that will look very similar to the example you used above.
You will have to work very hard to make classic ABL look nice (IMO), and you will have to work even harder to get decent functionality like you do out of the box with .Net controls.

Hello,

@Jean-Christophe Cardot, actually I'm using the classic appbuilder to make ".w" file .

@Cringer I understand.

We want to try PDSOE . I make a test with the cloud by progress. But the language is C I think. So the way of starting it is different and I don't know if it will work well . Example:
- for a classic window file the command is: run myApp.w
- for PDSOE if understand it will me more like this: DEFINE VARIABLE myApp AS CLASS myApp.cls
myApp = NEW myApp() .

Am I right ?

Best Regards,

Osborne

Yes, you are pretty much right. You use Visual Designer in PDSOE to create the .NET form and add the controls:

Then to run you have a standard procedure using something similar to:
Code:
DEFINE VARIABLE oMainForm AS mainForm NO-UNDO.

oMainForm = NEW mainForm().
oMainForm:Show().
WAIT-FOR System.Windows.Forms.Application:Run(oMainForm).
DELETE OBJECT oMainForm NO-ERROR.
QUIT.
If a multi-window system or using ADM then the WAIT-FOR will be slightly different and you have to include the .NET Exit:
If the .NET form is a dialog box then the WAIT-FOR is:
Code:
WAIT-FOR oMainForm:ShowDialog().

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Cringer ... it depends :) Back in Version 6, I did an implementation of Varnet on X-Windows which people thought was a GUI, just because the simple ChUI forms looked so much better on X-Windows. It amused a bunch of folks!
Off topic:
That reminds me... last week I watched a PSC webinar about upcoming features in OE and some people were running terminal sessions in X-Windows. Twenty years ago I ran X-Windows in AIX on IBM RS-6000s and seeing the demo gave me a huge rush of nostalgia. :) I can't believe the UI is basically the same today. Or they're just using very old boxes.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I was very fond of working in X. Something about the whole experience which just blew Windows away ... especially with Windows back then. Even ChUI looked good. But, when PSC committed to Windows, not much choice.