Migrating from PROGRESS to SQL Server 2008 - how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marc_s

I'm faced with a task I don't know how to proceed with: migrate a 120 GB database from PROGRESS to SQL Server 2008.

I've quite frankly never even heard of PROGRESS and can't really make much sense of their web site either.... what I have is a folder restore with 128 files called dbqsXXX where XXX goes from 1 through 128 - each file is 1 GB in size.

I don't know PROGRESS, I don't have any PROGRESS server available - is there any hope I can get the data out of these files into SQL Server??

Also: I tried to find ODBC drivers, and I found one (called SequeLink ODBC 4.51), but I cannot install it since it doesn't like my Win7 x64 machine :-( And on the PROGRESS site itself, I cannot seem to find any ODBC driver for download - only stuff that will cost $$$$$$

So - what are my options??

• is there something like a "PROGRESS Express" or "Free" or "Developer" version available?
  • can I access those dbqs files in my "restore" directory some other way?? They appear to be at least partly binary - no CSV or XML or anything like that.....
  • can I find a useable ODBC or OleDB driver that will work on my Win7 x64 machine and allow me to create a linked server to the PROGRESS db?? (worked fine with MySQL a while ago)
  • can I (or my customer) somehow dump the structure and data from PROGRESS into another, more approachable format, like MySQL or PostgreSQL or something??

Any hints, tips, website, webcasts are most welcome !!

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.