Comment Microsoft is making .NET available for Linux, Android and iOS

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
So in recent news, Microsoft is now/going to supporting .NET for other non-Windows OS platforms.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/28...-net-launches-visual-studio-2015-preview.html

So could this mean in future releases (about 3~4 year from now) of OpenEdge have native support for .NET under Linux? Or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick on what MS are trying to do.

Official Press Release from Microsoft:
http://news.microsoft.com/2014/11/1...tudio-2015-net-2015-and-visual-studio-online/

Last edited:

RealHeavyDude

As far as I understand it it is mostly about ASP.NET. It's hard to tell right now what impact on OpenEdge this will have.

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
As far as I understand it it is mostly about ASP.NET. It's hard to tell right now what impact on OpenEdge this will have.

Apart from the ASP.NET, the Microsoft article also mentions .NET Core Runtime, Framework and Libraries. Isn't this what communally used in OE for Windows?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Yes, it is more than just ASP.NET. They will officially be supporting the Mono project. And it's not just cross-platform support. They are also open-sourcing it and accepting code contributions for future versions.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Well, I'm not sure, which I why I asked, but, e.g., if this is going to work with ABL, is it going to work only with an ABL client under Mono also or is it going to work with a native Linux client?

TheMadDBA

Mono isn't an emulator like running a Windows session on Linux/Mac.

Mono is native C# libraries that provide the same function names/behavior as .NET.

http://www.mono-project.com/

Sponsored by Xamarin, Mono is an open source implementation of Microsoft's .NET Framework based on the ECMA standards for C#and the Common Language Runtime. A growing family of solutions and an active and enthusiastic contributing community is helping position Mono to become the leading choice for development of cross platform applications.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
So, it's already there, but now Microsoft will support it?

What does this mean for ABL?

TheMadDBA

Yes, it was already out there and being used in production environments. Some of the Microsoft guys were supporting/adding to it on their own time. Now Microsoft is officially in on the act and hopefully it will make the .NET/Mono side transparent.

If Progress decides to... they could add support for Mono/.NET into the non Windows versions of their products. Meaning you could use the same core .NET functions on Linux,AIX and Windows. I suspect PSC will view this as low hanging fruit and not do much of anything with it.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I suppose there are two big questions there. One, just how difficult is it to port the AVM/CLR bridge to Linux? Two, are we ever going to get a Linux graphical client?

TheMadDBA

I guess somebody from PSC would need to answer the first one for sure, but it doesn't seem like it should be too difficult.

Linux GUI is probably never going to happen (from PSC) at this point. Probably the same answer as always, no return on investment for them.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Well, I gather some folks would still like the bridge for AppServer type stuff, but I don't know what kind of market since those that want it may well have other solutions by now.