mfg/pro application timeout issue

sreekuax

Hello,

From a particular region where our user community sits, they are facing a weird issue.
If these users keep the mfg/pro session (accessed via putty) idle for say 20-25 mins... the session freezes out and they have to re-login. But no other users excpet users sitting in this particular network is having issue like this...
Network team responded telling server where mfg/pro installed is reachable and in network..

Can anybody tell me what we have to look in the application end. I checked 36.3.24 security control menu and found that timeout is 60 mins... app version is mfg/pro eB2 CHUI.

Thanks

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
When they connect to the system via PuTTY, do they get a shell or do they go straight into the application? If the former, what happens if they just log in and remain idle without ever running the app? If they are disconnected after 20-25 minutes, you can rule out the app and go back to the sysadmin/network guys for a fix.

sreekuax

When they connect to the system via PuTTY, do they get a shell or do they go straight into the application? If the former, what happens if they just log in and remain idle without ever running the app? If they are disconnected after 20-25 minutes, you can rule out the app and go back to the sysadmin/network guys for a fix.

Hi - I was waiting for a reply here as the users are still facing the issue and network team is wondering what is causing this issue...
Yes user get straight to application... (basically a shell which prompts options for the users to select which region to login.. ie. client scripts attached to each region option...)after going to application say they are in menu 7.1.1 and entering the details... and just referring to a spread sheet and then coming back to application to continue (this can take 15-20 mins inactivity on application/putty) now this is the time it gets freezed up. But at the same time the server where the application is installed is reachable and available..... no idea why this is happening for this specific region while all other users are able to come back and perform in the application/putty....

Thanks

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I don't know what a "region" is; do they all access the same server? Are they physically separate on the client side from other regions, or is a region a logical designation within the application? (I don't know MFG/PRO.)

I am wondering if the network topology is different for the users who time out as opposed to those who do not. For example do their PuTTY sessions connect via firewalls or routers that others do not use? I have seen misbehaving firewalls that make bad assumptions about long-lived connections, or that have limited-size state tables and can only keep track of so many. But it sounds like that is outside of your domain, so you would have to convince someone else to investigate that.

If you have an affected user who is a local admin and someone who is proficient in a network analysis tool like Wireshark, you could trace from the client end, filtering for traffic to/from that server and wait for the connection to time out. If nothing else, your trace will capture which end is terminating the TCP connection, and how (FIN vs. RST). That will tell you something you don't currently know. For example, if the clients are terminating the connection, then your issue isn't on the server side.