Question Locks Limit ?

jongpau

Is there any Number of Lock , Buffer & Stream limit that we can use in .p file ?
Maximum number of locks: is determined by the lock table parameter on the server - this is not per procedure
Maximum number of buffers: if there is one, i have never reached it
Maximum number of streams: up to 50 (in OE 10)

RealHeavyDude

Don't get me wrong, but your question - out of context - seems odd. Are you just asking out of curiosity or did you hit any error message?

Plus, you should say something about what Progress/OpenEdge version you are talking about - this is very relevant, especially when it comes to limits.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Ishtyaqe

Maximum number of locks: is determined by the lock table parameter on the server - this is not per procedure
Maximum number of buffers: if there is one, i have never reached it
Maximum number of streams: up to 50 (in OE 10)

Thanks Jongapau .

Ishtyaqe

Don't get me wrong, but your question - out of context - seems odd. Are you just asking out of curiosity or did you hit any error message?

Plus, you should say something about what Progress/OpenEdge version you are talking about - this is very relevant, especially when it comes to limits.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Dear Sir ,
This question is not out of context . Regarding this question I came to know no. of Stream Limit has been increased as per openedge version upgradation.
& no. of Locks by Lock table parameter.

Last edited:

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Repeating questions via private messages isn't going to help.

Simply stringing together 3 apparently completely unrelated things is the very definition of "out of context".

As RHD asked -- what version of Progress?

And -- "why?" Why do you want to know this? Are you trying to do something that doesn't work and is maybe generating error messages? If so, what are you doing and what are the errors? Or other indications that something isn't working.

If there is code involved showing the code will also help.

jongpau

Dear Sir ,
This question is not out of context . Regarding this question I came to know no. of Stream Limit has been increased as per openedge version upgradation.
& no. of Locks by Lock table parameter.

RealHeavyDude and Tom are right in saying that it would help when you explain why you ask the question. Also telling us what version you are on is helpful. I was going to say something similar at the time but only had a few spare minutes so I decided to answer your questions instead. Don't forget that the people that use this forum and post answers to questions are generally all busy IT professionals that use their spare time to help you.

I could also have pointed to the online help and OE manuals as two of the three things you asked are pretty clearly stated in there. Did you do any investigation of your own? The question about the buffers you could definitely have investigated yourself by writing a few simple lines of code. Did you try any of that?

In any case, I hope your question was answered and that next time you will provide a bit of background and detail on your environment, versions and what you have done so far to try and resolve problems or questions. If you do that I am sure you will get a much better response :)

Ishtyaqe

RealHeavyDude and Tom are right in saying that it would help when you explain why you ask the question. Also telling us what version you are on is helpful. I was going to say something similar at the time but only had a few spare minutes so I decided to answer your questions instead. Don't forget that the people that use this forum and post answers to questions are generally all busy IT professionals that use their spare time to help you.

I could also have pointed to the online help and OE manuals as two of the three things you asked are pretty clearly stated in there. Did you do any investigation of your own? The question about the buffers you could definitely have investigated yourself by writing a few simple lines of code. Did you try any of that?

In any case, I hope your question was answered and that next time you will provide a bit of background and detail on your environment, versions and what you have done so far to try and resolve problems or questions. If you do that I am sure you will get a much better response :)

Thanks Jongpau .
I tried for Buffers , & got to know that in version 10.1 C , we can use more than 50 Buffer .
I heartily thanks & respect of all IT Professionals who shared their valuable time regarding this question .

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Thanks everyone for their input.
@Ishtyaqe - next time you want to post a question, please bare in mind the guidelines for posting. They are in my signature for ease of access. This will enable folks to understand your problem quickly and provide an answer more easily. :)

Ishtyaqe

Thanks everyone for their input.
@Ishtyaqe - next time you want to post a question, please bare in mind the guidelines for posting. They are in my signature for ease of access. This will enable folks to understand your problem quickly and provide an answer more easily. :)

Thanks Cringer ,
Sure , I will do same .