Linux Flavours

sason

Hi Progress Talkers,

We currently run MFGPro on SCO and need to migrate to a more supportable operating system platform. We are seriously considering Linux - but which flavour is best ?

Advise on performance, stability, managability, supportability and general comments relating to either RedHat or SuSE would really help us. Does PROGRESS run better on Redhat or SuSE ?

Thanks heaps (in advance)

zsiadat

I would boldly say there is no real difference - the real difference lies in the competence of the administrator in charge of the machine. I myself prefer Slackware or Debian, since they are the most lightweight and thus secure distributions out there, something you certainly cannot say about Redhat or Suse.

With that being said, I however recommend Redhat. Redhat's maintenance of their out-of-the-box kernel is extremely good. Also, Redhat is a more "mature" Linux distribution, better prepared for demaning enterprise tasks.

/zsiadat

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Progress runs quite well on either RH or SUSE (and in fact on most major distributions).

Personally I prefer SUSE. I just find it more "sensible" than RH.

sason

Zsiadat & Tom,

Thanks for your replies. I gather that under the covers there is really no difference but it is the user interface and tools provided that becomes the decision point - Would I be right in saying this ?