Item specific decimal places?

HISTOGRAM

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to individually set the decimal places used on one particular item number to be differrent to all other item numbers?

The problem we have is that we use 'Works Order Receipt Backflush - 16.12' to create finished products using Bills of Materials. Every Bill of Materials for every finished product contains a common item (the actual wooden pallet the goods are carried on) which for obvious reasons can only be issued in multiples of 1. The BOM contains 6 decimal places for all part numbers, so when we produce incomplete pallets of a product (which happens every day) the system will effectively issue for example 0.123456 of a pallet.

We would like the BOM to only issue in complete pallets, i.e. a part pallet of production still requires 1 complete wooden pallet to be stored on.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Hi!
I am not aware of the standard functionality you are looking for.
However, you can achieve what you want in a couple of ways.
First, the operator can adjust qty to issue during the backflush process. I know, it may not a best solution, if you run automatic backflushes.

Second, the big question is how your item numbers are defined. It looks like your finished good item is a full pallet (and may be you have good reasons to do so).

From my experience it is done in a little bit different way:

Your finished good is defined as one level lower than pallet, for example a box. In this case the pallet will not be in the FG BOM.
Then, after the manufacturing process is finished and you reported your backflush, you can create a container (7.7.1 Container Workbench), where the pallet item number is at the upper level and the Finished Good (in boxes) - at the second level.
Then the shipper/preshipper is created, and when the shipper is shipped, the pallet will be always shipped as one piece.
This approach will give you good visibility of your inventory as well as helping with planning.

Hope it was not too long :)

32Soft Inc., an Official QAD Subcontractor
Need to extract MFG/PRO documents to Excel and Acrobat?
Free Tools at http://www.32soft.com/site/modules/xt_conteudo/index.php?id=12[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

HISTOGRAM

Hi!
I am not aware of the standard functionality you are looking for.
However, you can achieve what you want in a couple of ways.
First, the operator can adjust qty to issue during the backflush process. I know, it may not a best solution, if you run automatic backflushes.

Second, the big question is how your item numbers are defined. It looks like your finished good item is a full pallet (and may be you have good reasons to do so).

From my experience it is done in a little bit different way:

Your finished good is defined as one level lower than pallet, for example a box. In this case the pallet will not be in the FG BOM.
Then, after the manufacturing process is finished and you reported your backflush, you can create a container (7.7.1 Container Workbench), where the pallet item number is at the upper level and the Finished Good (in boxes) - at the second level.
Then the shipper/preshipper is created, and when the shipper is shipped, the pallet will be always shipped as one piece.
This approach will give you good visibility of your inventory as well as helping with planning.

Hope it was not too long :)

Free Tools at [URL="http://www.32soft.com/site/modules/xt_conteudo/index.php?id=12"]http://www.32soft.com/site/modules/xt_conteudo/index.php?id=12[/URL]

Hi Max,

Thanks for that.

What presently happens is as you describe, the operator (me) adjusts quantitiy during backflush.

FG is set at 1 box but FG BOM contains an increment of a pallet, i.e. if one full pallet holds 75 boxes then the FG BOM for one box utilises 1/75th of a pallet.

If we moved to using 7.7.1 as you suggest, would that involve an extra step by the operator or is this a system that we would put in place but would then run automatically? Also will it allow part pallets and still issue off one complete physical pallet?

Thanks again,

Tony.

Tony
The container system allows you to link the pallet item number and the product item number. You will always put the pallet item number qty as 1, and the product qty - whatever you like. This will ensure, that the pallet will always be issued as one piece.
This process is not really automatic, it is an extra step. If you have bar-code scanners in place, you can implement a system, where you add products to the containers by scanning the attached bar-code labels.

From the other point of view, the usage of containers and shippers has its benefits. The general process is the following:

- Create containers with the product in it
- Create Shipper/Preshipper and attach those containers
- Confirm Shipper (at this point the sales order will be shipped)

Note, that the last step here replaces the standard 7.9.15 Shipment, and the finished product is shipped together with the pallet at this point.

Overall it may be a bit more work, if it is completely manual, but the benefits include:
- you can calculate the product net weight and shipping weight
- you better control the inventory and planning of pallets
- you can print shipping documents, based on the shipper info

Please let me know if you have any other questions - I implemented such systems in the past.
Best regards

Free Tools at http://www.32soft.com/site/modules/xt_conteudo/index.php?id=12

HISTOGRAM

Hi Max,

Thanks very much for that info. I will discuss it with the powers that be and see what comes of it.

Thanks again,

Tony