Is still pogress used in QAD

mjdarm

Hi All,

Wanted to know whether the latest version of Mfg/PRO (QAD) released in 2009 uses progress/open edge as their programming language?
If yes, how are they are linking it to .Net UI?
If not, what are they developed on?

Thanks in advance.

Mugu.

Yes PROGESS CHUI version is used. for both Desktop and .Net interface clever wrapper programs are used to encapsulate the code. Certain rules are to be followed while coding.

Other then QAD Enterpise Financials all modules are coded in Progress only including Standard Financials. you can access programs both in Net UI as well as CHUI environment.

But QAD Enterprise Financials can't be accessed in CHUI.

I think Enterprise Finacials is only available in the .netUI interface, this does not mean it is entirely written in dotNet. It still runs ABL programs on an appserver.

agiusp

As far as I know, QAD Financial is now written in C#. This new financial module is the result of an software acquisition to replace the old MFGPRO financial module which was not pretty well designed. QAD 2009 EE integrate plug-ins (MFGPRO, Appshell, QAD Fiancial) to embedd any third-part application in the .Net interface.
Technically, since OE 10.2A, prodataset are used to access any Openedge database from any .Net client (no matter the language you use on the client side). I was told by some QAD sales that only new modules will be developped with this framework. However, most of the batch logic with perdure as .p programs server side because they do not have the means to rewrite the whole ERP in one shot. This will be done progressively.

you have an overview of the architecture un the presentation attached.

hope this help

Attachments

• QAD2009_Architecture.pdf
    669.7 KB · Views: 67

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
QAD is always exploring new frameworks, architectures and technologies. Many of those are non-Progress. But that doesn't constitute moving away. Of the things that they have explored most of them have turned out to be duds. Some have been colossal duds. A few have stuck around and become part of the product.

For most of the last 20 years there have been rumors that "qad is moving away from Progress". It hasn't happened yet and I wouldn't bet a whole lot of money on it happening any time soon even if they really truly think that they would like to (marketechture slides don't really prove anything other than sensitivity to appearances in that regard...)

wsong

I have looked into and played with new 2009 EE version. I will soon write an article about its functions and archetecture and will compare its EE financial with SAP R/3 by function.