Interprocess Communication

davidof

I want to communicate between a java and a 4gl application on the same workstation. Do there exist better ways than sockets to allow a communication between these two processes? ODBC is not ned. i have already thought of pipes but in the forum pipes aren't recommended at all.

curly

You could use proxygen to generate java classes capable of calling Progress AppServer procedures. Using this method you could access progress procedures from Java.

Ragards,
Marian

i came across a download, i think under applications , freeware download, java to progress stuff... have a look.
its jprogress , i quote from his readme file:

Have FUN!!!
Cheers,
Brad.
bjl@uq.net.au

contact him.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
i also know of jpjvm from joanju.com, open sourced.

solution depends if it's java to progress, progress to java or both

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I want to communicate between a java and a 4gl application on the same workstation. Do there exist better ways than sockets to allow a communication between these two processes? ODBC is not ned. i have already thought of pipes but in the forum pipes aren't recommended at all.

Why aren't pipes recommended? They work very well. They are much simpler than sockets to program.

If you have a simple need (and it sounds like you do) then a simple solution like pipes might be very appropriate.

davidof

Progress-Pipes are supported as simple io files (no locking). So i have to handle all the synchrinisation stuff myself. That's why i think its the best way to let the tcp stream taking care of that.
greats and thanks david

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Progress-Pipes are supported as simple io files (no locking). So i have to handle all the synchrinisation stuff myself. That's why i think its the best way to let the tcp stream taking care of that.
greats and thanks david

You get around that by creating a dedicated pipe for each conversation.