Inherited what I think is a backup of a progress database.....need assistance

Jill Overly

I have inherited what I think is a backup of a progress database. Here are the files.
1638459501254.png
I need to restore and hopefully access with a SQL tool. Can anyone shed some light? I think it is Sage Intergy.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
  • Unfortunately, there isn't a standard file extension for Progress database backup files. So "Intergy.odbk" might be a backup file, and the size looks reasonable, given the other file sizes.
  • From your screenshot, you have the Windows Explorer "hide extensions for known file types" feature enabled. This is one of the first things I turn off on a new Windows machine. I noticed because at first I thought you didn't have a .db file, until I realized it is the second last one shown.
  • The files from medman.b1 down to medman.lg are the actual database, not a backup of it. Given the observable structure, it appears to be rather old, maybe version 9. Do you have any other files in that directory? Maybe medman.st?
  • You can't access this database or restore the backup (if indeed the .odbk is a backup file) with third-party tools. You need a Progress installation to do anything with them, e.g. exporting the data. Check with whoever you "inherited" the data from. Wherever these files resided originally, if it still exists, you should find the Progress installation.
  • If you don't have an installation, you might be able to use the trial version to get at the files: OpenEdge Trial - Progress.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I would be very surprised if that's a working database. 4GB backup, 8MB data, 1.6GB of BI looks weird. But the "odbk" probably stands for OpenEdge Database Backup and is therefore probably where I would start looking.
The good news is that Sage Intergy still looks like it has an active website so in all honesty if that's what you think it is, I would start off by reaching out to them.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It's also quite possible that other storage area files reside in another directory and we're not seeing them. So that structure file (medman.st) is important, as it will provide some insight. But I agree, if that file is a backup, it may be the best bet.

cj_brandt

wow Flashback...
Look in the database log file, Medman.lg, and it will have the info on the database backup. Intergy named their database backups with a .dbk for backup or .odbk for online database backup.

You probably have a Progress version 9 or OpenEdge version 10 database there.

cj_brandt

If the medman.lg file shows the database backup on 5/4/2021 was successful you will be able to restore the database backup using the prorest utility. The medman.st file will show the database structure.

There was a SQL reporting application that was often sold with Intergy called Practice Analytics. This was created as a way to use SQL to report off Intergy data, because trying to run an SQL query off an Intergy database is going to be painful.

If you restore the database, Progress has command line sql utilities you can use to dump the data and the schema. If that can be loaded into a SQL database, the data could be queried from the SQL server.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I would think the first question would be whether or not there is a Progress installation on the machine somewhere. If that backup file was indeed created in May, then it seems likely. Also, who created that ... something else you could find in the log. Are they still around? Probably a lot easier if they know something and help. If so, then start a server and use the sql tools to access the database, either the vendor supplied ones or just sqlexp. Then query or dump depending on the actual need.