Question How to upgrade Progress 10.0B05 to Progress 11.2.1?

qadvietnam

Hi all,
We have plan upgrade Progress 10.0B05(RH4) to Progress 11.2.1(RH6.3)
DB of my customer is running from 2005 until now., it seems 50GB or more
Can anyone pls give me experience advices and any documentation relate for upgrade.

Thanks,
QAD Vietnam

RealHeavyDude

The easiest way is to use the conv1011 utility ( proutil <path-to-db> -C conv1011 ) that comes with OE11. In order to successfully convert the datbase to OE11 with conv1011 you must have truncated the before image in OE10. This usually takes 5 minutes max.

Whether this is the best way to migrate your database to OE11 depends on how the status of the OE10 source database is. This conversion utility does not do anything to the existing data, in general it just upgrades the meta schema ( when there are upgreades to apply ), deletes the existing VSTs and inserts the current ones and changes the version in the database master block.

If the OE10 database does not use storage area type II yet - then you should migrate your storage aeras too but that is only possible by a dump & load which involves more down time and effort. But it is worth the additional effort!

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

qadvietnam

RealHeavyDude,

For others issue,
We want to upgrade from Progress 10.0B05 (in RH4 Ent OS) to Progress 11.2.1(in Windows 2008 OS)
Database from Progress10.0B05 is 20GB now.
Pls give us your expert advices

Thanks

RealHeavyDude

That is an upgrad plus a platform change. You can only change the platform by dumping the database on the source platform, create a new one and load the data back on the target platform.

You can either do that binary ( binary dump files are platform independent and they are backwards compatible ), which, due to performance reasons, I would advice you to - or ascii via the data administration tool ( dump and load ) or bulk load ( load only ). For the ascii dump you can also roll your own.

Because dump and load is the only way, this gives you a chance to clean up your physical database structure when it is not optimized yet: You could change the databse block size, storage area types and their definitions ( records per block / cluster size ) without adding extra time to the actual process. You just need to do more preparation. You might have a look here for more information http://dbappraise.com/ppt/sos.pptx

qadvietnam

RealHeavyDude,

Thanks for your advices and your files.
The other issue is here:
The old env Progress 10.0B05 (in RH4 Ent OS) is running with Japanese language (SHIFT-JIS) double-byte codepage.
The new env Progress 11.2.1(in Windows 2008 OS) is running with EN language (default).
So I can dump DB from old env, but I can load this DB into new env.
Pls help us

Thanks
QAD Vietnam

jurriaan

Perhaps it would be a good idea to take a course, or start some experiments, or invite a tutor over. At the moment, it looks like your business model approaches the 'put customer questions on the forum' model.

RealHeavyDude

Is the difference in code page setup between old and new environment in place on purpose or did it just happen accidentally?

The two code pages you mention are not compatible. There is no painless, lossless conversion between them two possible. Full stop.

RealHeavyDude

Forgot to mention: Although most people I know who work in IT are completely oblivious to what code pages and character sets are, they are fundamental in any string processing and therefore I consider it basic IT knowledge. If you would like to know more then I recommend you reading this for a starter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_pages

qadvietnam

Is the difference in code page setup between old and new environment in place on purpose or did it just happen accidentally?

The two code pages you mention are not compatible. There is no painless, lossless conversion between them two possible. Full stop.

Sorry I do not tell you clear the new env has already converted already.
I do not think it can not compatable because I read the "Conversion Guide Progress Database", I think it can.
Correct if I am wrong.

Thanks