How to remove a table lock?

Arunselvan

Hi all,

The remote client losing the connection to the database after acquired a table lock, but before it was completed reading the schema.

then what is the way to remove table lock?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
You're going to have to explain a bit more what's happening as I don't understand at all.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If the remote client lost the connection then any and all locks should also be gone. What makes you think that a lock is still being held? In other words -- what are you looking at that we would understand that tells you that there is a table lock and that this allegedly disconnected client is holding it? It would be especially useful if there were screen captures or something of that ilk that would further illuminate the problem.

Also, table locks are generally a SQL thing -- is this client an ODBC connection?

Arunselvan

hi all,

I actually got the below error.

Error unlocking after schema read(12537).

I actually have no idea about this. I thought it may be a problem regarding locking tables.
Please explain about this.

Regards,
Arun.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Please provide Progress version, info on what you are doing when this happens, how you are connecting, and maybe OS version etc.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P128182

It is also possible that the HANGUP signal was occurring after the client had already acquired a table lock, but before it was completed reading the schema. In that event, the inability of the client to release the table lock would be due to the lost connection.

The messages is harmless when there has a been a HANGUP signal received, so long as there there are no orphaned table locks.

So unless you actually have an orphaned table lock you can safely ignore it.

Do you actually have an orphaned table lock?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
An "orphaned" table lock would be a table lock owned by a session that no longer exists.

I have no idea how to find such a thing -- I've never seen one. But I guess if you are having trouble fetching data because it is locked that that would be a good place to start looking.

So -- do you have an actual problem? Is there a table that is locked and which you cannot access? If there is then I would expect you might have some additional error messages or other evidence to share.

Otherwise this falls in to the "you can safely ignore" category.