How to merge two database into one?

Arunselvan

Hi all,

I have two databases. Both are 9.1D version. We are upgrading to OPENEDGE 10.1C. Here I have to merge both the databases into one Database. What is the way to do it? Please help me.

Regards,
Arun.

RealHeavyDude

Usually you would dump the data and definitions from one database and load into the other yourself. Progress does not provide any merge utility for this.

There are some things you need to think about before you do that:
  1. You need to take care of the storage areas when the two databases have different storage ares. You can eiher align them or add the necessary areas to the merged database before you do the load.
  2. When the two databases share the same schema ( tables / indexes ): You need to check for potential duplicates in unique indexes and eventually fix these before you merge. Otherwise you will run into errors either when loading the data ( via the data administration tool ) or the index rebuilt after the load via the bulk or binary load.
  3. If both databases contain tables with the same name but differen fields and/or indexes you need to rename them before you merge.
  4. Maybe I forgot something
Most of the checks you need to perform can be done by querying the _File, _Field and _Index meta schema tables.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Arunselvan

Thank you. Its really Helpful. If you have any articles or documents regarding this please share.

Regards,
Arun.

cj_brandt

If you have 2 databases with different tables, then a simple dump and load into a new database with Type II storage areas.

If you have 2 databases with the same table names and the same fields then follow RHD's advice and check for unique key violations and potential performance issues when tables may double in size.

Update the database startup parameters to reflect the larger database size.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Just wondering why you're going to 10.1C, when for not much more effort you can go to 10.2 or even 11.x?
A point of note though, whatever version you are going to, make sure you move the structures to Type II storage areas.