How do I design a program to own a face with progress

Hello,everyone,
I am using Mfg/Pro 9.0 and it uses progress 8.3 ,because of lincence limit I want to design a application platform with progress ,which can provide some report and inquiry sevice to our end user,I know I can use some code like " _progress -p ..." to execute a .p program, but the program can only ouput data to a TXT file,not to screen, when execute my code as "disp table.field1 field2", a error message will be rased, can you give me some comments or a demo code ,thanks .
I am so sorry for my poor english, I am a chinese .:blush:

LarryD

The simple answer is to just to contact your QAD sales rep so that you can increase the user count for your license(s). Then you can come back and ask your questions.

What counts as a user is different kettle of fish.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You might want to clarify what you mean by "license limit". Is this type of license, user count, or what?

Your first problem of course, is being on 8.3. That is from 12 years ago!!! Talk to QAD about moving to a modern version.

For reporting, one possibility might be a SQL reporting tool like Crystal or Actuate. Many of these tools will do either on-screen or paper reporting and, depending on the license issue, may be legal when a new 4GL user would not.

Thanks for your reply!

Our license allows total 32 users count on-line, for that our users always stay in the system with doing nothing or doing some simply inquiry occasionally, so our system often raise warning message, like "license count is full....",I know most of them only are using a inquiry function in our system, but they must login in mfg/pro first and then they can use the inquiry function, It is a waste of license-count, I am only a programmer, I think I can write a inquiry program instead of the old inquiry function of our system and make it run independently out of mfg/pro.

For these reasons, I try to write a application with progress 4gl ,with which we can write some codes and make it run as same as make it run in Procedure Editor of Progress. I know I can use the cmmand:

"PROWIN32.EXE-pf c:\fbTS02.pf -ininame c:\progress.bch -b -p test.p" ,
test.p:
output to c:\abc.txt.
Find frist pt_mstr no-lock.
Disp pt_part pt_desc .
Output close.

But the code in test.p must make my DISPLAY output to a File, If not deinfe “output to c:\abc.txt.”, progress will raise a error message, as the following image.

Snap2..jpg

of couse , I can purchase more lincese count or purchase Cyberquery for solving these problem,but I want to understand how can we use progres 4gl to write a program that owns a main interface like a normal MIS system.

sdjensen

create a bat file with the following

@echo off
PROWIN32.EXE-pf c:\fbTS02.pf -ininame c:\progress.bch -b -p test.p > c:\abc.txt
%windir%\system32\notepad c:\abc.txt

I have got a solution for it. I would like share it with you.

1. you can create a batch file and key a new line with "Q:\DLC83E\bin\PROWIN32.EXE -pf c:\xx02.pf -ininame c:\progress.bch -p dd.p" and then save as test.bat, you can find xx02.pf and progress.bch (may be called other name) in your shortcut which be run to start you mfg/pro .

2. create new file called dd.p, open it with notepad and key following code and save:

define variable terminal-window as widget-handle.
define variable save-window as widget-handle.
create window terminal-window
assign
TITLE = ""
THREE-D = yes
FONT = 0
HEIGHT = 23.29
WIDTH = 100
MAX-HEIGHT = 23.29
MAX-WIDTH = 100
VIRTUAL-HEIGHT = 24
VIRTUAL-WIDTH = 80
RESIZE = yes
SCROLL-BARS = yes
STATUS-AREA = yes
BGCOLOR = ?
FGCOLOR = ?
MESSAGE-AREA = no
SENSITIVE = yes
PRIVATE-DATA = "" .
save-window = current-window.
current-window = terminal-window.
apply "ENTRY":U to current-window.
output to terminal paged.
def var i as integer .
find first pt_mstr no-lock .
repeat on end-key undo,leave:
i = i + 1 .
disp pt_part pt_desc1 .
find next pt_mstr no-lock.
if i = 10 then leave.
end.
quit.

3. run test.bat ,then you will find a window, you can write more base on dd.p.