Gui ...

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
i just had a look at the exchange 2006 web page

http://www.progress.com/exchange/2006/index.ssp

it was somewhat of a let down, i was really hoping to hear something about the "new gui" they talked about last year.

i was happy to hear "test drive" is making a come back ( finally, something we're interested in ).

i'm interested to hear if anyone has researched the topic or has insightful experience using diff user interfaces.

wow factor, important pros and cons etc. TIA

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for new GUI to be introduced...
I was also very pleased to hear Olson say last year, that they where thinking about incorporating SWT to make natve OS interfaces. But it seems like we have to wait till OE 11 if (and I say If) they plan to do something about it.

Progress in Holland is promoting to enrich existing interfaces with codejock components. Looks pretty ok. But still not what we really want I guess.... :awink:
(http://www.codejock.com/)

Greetz,

Casper.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
Casper, on a second though, it's actually a great idea ! solutions are so simple once you find the answer.

the price is reasonable, no royalties. thanks, i'll look into it

Lee, i always wondered about this kind of ui science, what goes with what etc. thanks

Codejock, etc.

Here's a related ppt:

http://www.progress.com/progress/ptw/2005/emea/docs/ptw_086.ppt

There are also the recent PSDN downloads on the subject of OCXs, which I think I linked to some time ago.

Here's some recommended OCXes from a Peg post:

http://www.peg.com/lists/peg/history/200601/msg00459.html

And here's a good source for them:

http://www.componentsource.com/evisb/topreviews/a311/index.html

Just bear in mind that Progress have no plans to support .Net components, so we have to hope that ActiveX will stick around for a while as long as we want to use Appbuilder. Use of .Net components will require OE 10, and (eg.) Visual Studio.

I've started looking at Codejock components myself recently, but the Help files are not as easy to follow as MS ones like Treeview, so experimentation for me will be quite slow.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
thats a major turn off. building on a tech thats already obsolete before
you've even started.

i've been meaning to ask. one of the best looking ui's i've seen recently is
the webex console (webevents).

anyone has an idea what its written on ? java applet maybe ?

Lee Curzon said:
Just bear in mind that Progress have no plans to support .Net components, so we have to hope that ActiveX will stick around for a while as long as we want to use Appbuilder. Use of .Net components will require OE 10, and (eg.) Visual Studio.

According to a current PEG thread this is a typically misinformed post by me.

Here's the relavent abstract:

INNOV–14: A Look Inside the OpenEdge UI Research Lab

Time:

Wednesday, 7–June, 10:30am – 11:30am

Level:

Beginner

Speakers:

Shelley Chase, Architect, OpenEdge, Progress
Bruce Gruenbaum, Principal Software Engineer, OpenEdge, Progress

Come to our preview of the future User Interface for OpenEdge. This session covers the architecture and features of the new UI. The new UI will build upon Microsoft .NET controls to allow OpenEdge developers to build competitive state–of–the–art applications, all while staying in the OpenEdge development environment and language. Preview the Visual Editor where you will visually build and test your new UI forms.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

im naming my kids salvador, david, gus and john even if they're all girls. just k\give us a chance we'll be your biggest fans!!!!!

screew progress hello openedge. didint i tell you it was all in the name

all of a sudden openedge is looking like a pretty complete and powerful
platform

and test drive is making a comeback , and it doesnt feel like thy're fighting against us

ahhhhh i cant believe ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

if someone knows otherwise don't tell me, not today, let me just enjoy the moment

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!

that does it i'll do everything to get to exchange. damn it they deserve it

i sound like those clients that go from blaming you for ruining their life to i could kiss you type reactions

lol

Incidentally, it was Gus who mentioned the 'no plans for .net controls' recently, because 'they're expensive and most shops don't need them'.

He lied to me. :awink:

Ok, maybe I misheard, I don't know. It says similar stuff in the knowledge base though, 'Progress client would need rewrite', and all that.

But providing a .Net compatible Visual Front end which will enable us to continue with our Smart ABL apps, and our pretty .Net components is a terrific, positive move by Progress.

Let's hope they pull it off.