Game of Life

Smud

Create a spreadsheet, select 60 columns and 36 rows, set background colour black, make the columns 0.92 wide and save as GameOfLife.xlsx.

Put the spreadsheet in c:\Temp and run the OpenEdge.p code in AppBuilder (Windows). Its very slow (the interaction to Excel is the slow bit) but will get there eventually!

ps Forum has been slow lately, is there really no activity or is everybody just busy (like me)?

Attachments

• openedge.p
    9 KB · Views: 10

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Assuming that this is an implementation of the game of Life that appeared in Scientific American many years ago and apropos of nothing to do with Progress, but back in the mid-70s I was part of an R&D project creating self-instructional materials and computer-simulated laboratories to teach scientific problem solving at the college level. We decided that we wanted an intro unit to introduce the students to the model of science we were using so I created a "laboratory" that was an implementation of Life and, rather than tell them what the rules were the idea was to guide them through diagnosing the rules via tentative hypotheses, systematic experimentation, and revision. With our tutorial to guide them, students would successfully diagnose the rules in about two hours. But, we also provided the game to a sort of steering committee on science education at UCB ... so, a bunch of high powered Ph.D.s ... but without the tutorial. Only one person figured it out and it took him printing out many, many iterations and then studying them for hours. No one else figured it out. Oh, and the amazing part is that we also tried this out in a number of classrooms and the teachers reported that just doing the game and none of the rest of our materials the students were better at problem solving for the remainder of the semester. We called it The Truth about Tribbles.