Question First Transaction Slow

Ishita Das

Hi,

We have an application in Progress (v 10.2b) wherein the first transaction (say adding /updating etc a record) takes time and after that throughout the day these transactions seem to take place very quickly. Also, this first transaction delay takes place for each user who logs into the application for the first time in a day. Is there any other reason for this delay in the first transaction ? Also, could this be specific to a particular version of progress ?

Thanks in advance,

GregTomkins

To me, it would be normal for the first few things a Progress Win32 or HTTP client does to be slow while all the stuff that has to be initialized on the client happens.

By "slow" I would think like maybe a couple of seconds where it normally takes a fraction of a second.

It would not be normal for Telnet-style clients where there is little to nothing happening on the client. And, if by "takes time" you mean MINUTES - that is definitely not normal in my world.

Of course all of this is going to depend on what your app does - maybe you preload a ton of data for every new login, obviously that is going to matter a lot.

There is nothing that I know of in this area that is specific to Progress versions. Every now and then you hear about obscure bugs (of this type) in specific versions but I have not seen that (we are a mix of 10.1 thru 11.5).

Ishita Das

Thank you Greg.

Just to add few points -

Our application is in Dynamics.

And yes, the time delay is in minutes (upto 1 - 2 min) for the first time. While, second and subsequent transactions take less than 5 sec or comes back instantly.

We have considered database initialize to be a factor, but then this should also affect the launching of screen. But, we have no such delay in screen launch for the first time. It is just the first transaction of the day for an user that causes delay.

RealHeavyDude

You are mentioning Dynamics. Are you running thin clients connected to an AppServer or are these clients directly connected to the database?

As far as I remember Dynamics applications connected as remote clients directly to a database did have horrible performance implications when things ( in your case could be parts of the SDO ) got instantiated / used for the first time.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
sounds more like it's compiling the entire framework or at least part of it.

maybe the .r's are are not on the propath?

dynamics does alot of things dynamically with dynamic objects sort of like compile on the file but it should not take 1 to 2 minutes!

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Worth having a look at record reads as well. Can you get the same issues in a test environment?