Eye Dee Ten Tee prbblem, setup new broker

JustMe

and I cannot type:
"Eye Dee Ten Tee problem"

Still a newbie, day 4 ...

The version is 10.2b 05
I am running eclipse on windows XP servicepack 3 (Admin programs also)
The database is running on SLES11 linux

I need a second broker for SQL-92 access. I found a knowledge base to add a broker but it says to use proexp on the database server. I cannot find proexp on the database server nor can I connect from the windows client. :'(
Is there a way around this or will I have to install proexp onto the DB server?

Thank you in advance ...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Added +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

proexp is progress explorer on the windows side, I do not know if there is a different name on the UNIX side. proexp.exe is the binary.

the URL below states on the page: "To configure the brokers using Progress Explorer:"

http://knowledgebase.progress.com/ar...ch&popup=false

Justme (Rich)

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Can you post a link to the KB article? I don't know proexp; do you mean sqlexp? That is SQL Explorer, a rudimentary SQL command-line client. It is a client; it doesn't help you with starting the broker.

If your issue is how to start the second broker, then I would ask how you currently start your 4GL broker; manually, shell script, OpenEdge Management. The best practice is to keep the brokers separate with the -ServerType startup parameter. You would use "-ServerType 4GL" for your current broker and "-ServerType SQL" for your SQL broker. Since the SQL will be a secondary broker you need to specify "-m3" on its proserve command line.

You also need to specify the port on which this broker will listen for connections. Specify -S <port number> or -S <service name> if you are going to define this port in your /etc/services file. Other parameters to specify for this broker:
-Mpb (maximum servers per broker)
-Ma (maximum clients per server)
-minport (low end of server port range)
-maxport (high end of server port range)

You need to specify values for each of the above parameters, based on desired number of concurrent SQL clients and desired number of SQL servers. These params are all documented in the DB Admin manual, and SQL Explorer is documented in the SQL development manual.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Proutil isn't used to start databases. You would use proserve for that.

Progress Explorer is a Java-based GUI interface for managing databases and other assets like AppServers, WebSpeed, etc. In OSes later than XP or Server 2003 it doesn't work. It is replaced by OpenEdge Explorer, which is browser-based.

Do you start your databases on the server, from the command line?

JustMe

OK, I just didn't read far enough through the script.
We use init.d to start the databases so yes we use a script
the script points to the database name.

I ran the scripts (adjusted for my database, ports and type SQL) for a second broker. I can connect to this second port.
So thanks for the help, your questions made me look a little deeper to fix my problem.

Do I need to run the proutil to set up the (or script manually) adjust the database parameters? or are the defaults "close enough"?
For the OE in eclipse.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Proutil is a Progress shell script that invokes _dbutil and implements a variety of DB tasks, mainly maintenance- and configuration-related.

Startup parameters are specified on your proserve command line, or in a parameter file (<name>.pf) that is referenced on the command line with the -pf parameter. Defaults may work for you but I like to specify certain network-related params explicitly, like minport/maxport. This helps when IT or systems people make changes to network topology or policy, such as enabling a firewall between clients and servers. Then it becomes clear what to do when security people who don't know the application or platform ask which ports need to be opened through the firewall. It helps with troubleshooting as well.

I vaguely recall a recent version of Eclipse having trouble with database connections that used defined service names rather than the equivalent port numbers. You may want to specify your SQL port numerically when you set up your database connections in Eclipse.