Exporting data from Progress to MS Access

zhotcat

This is probably going to seem like a really stupid question to most of you folks, but please bear with me...

I have a client who wants some quering and reporting capabilities that he can't get within Progress, or even with some other products that are on the market. He thinks he wants some reports/queries written in Access that will use the data contained within his Progress system.

I know absolutely nothing about Progress, but I have years of experience developing custom MS Access systems for various clients. I assume there are ways to query Progress data through an Access application. I am in the process of trying to come up with a proposal for this client and I need more information before I can accurately estimate the number of hours needed to accomplish this.

My understanding of how to accomplish this is as follows:
The client has to purchase the Progress ODBC DataServer
Then, in MS Access through code, I have to connect to the Progress data and launch my query/report

I assume this is greatly simplified, but if someone could just let me know if I am on the right track. Also, I'm wondering how well documented the ODBC DataServer is. On the other hand, maybe there is a much easier way to accomplish this.

It seems as if you folks really know your stuff, and I think I've come to the right place with my questions. Thank you for your time.

MurrayH

I do know of one customer who used the Progress SQL-92 / ODBC driver to create "virtual" tables for Progress inside SQL Server. The same sort of thing, I image, can be done with Access.

Hope that helps

Murray

sbustani

Where can I get Progress SQL-92 / ODBC driver

Hi,

I'm totally new to Progress database. Can u please tell me about where can I get Progress SQL-92 / ODBC driver so that I can connect from VB environment (Visual Studio IDE). Is it available for free ?

Thanks in advance

Shoeb Bustani
Bombay
India

bjackson

I'm using the Merant 3.6 ODBC Driver with progress ver 9.1A
within a VB application using ADO.

I'm able to query form single tables only and create recordsets.

Syntax is tricky.