expanding a .pl file to get the .p files

JustMe

I moved part of this from Database Admin, yes I know bad boy, but I need some help. Thanks ...

Long story short, I came to work here after the install, and I am new to Progress

I need to see the switches on some files, but when I expand per:
http://knowledgebase.progress.com/ar...ch&popup=false
all I get are binary files. (dot r)

A search of the KB just gave me additional information on the extraction but not my lack of dot p files.
here is what I am doing:
cd /usr/dlc/src

./extractpl prodict.pl

prolib /usr/dlc/tty/prodict.pl -extract "*.*"

and I get just .r (dot R) files
just an fyi ...
if I do a "*.p" or "*.pl" I get nothing, if I do a "*.r" I get the dot R files (as expected)

and as always thank you in advance ...

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
You can't get at the .p code from a .pl. It's a library of compiled code. There are services that go the other way, but they're unreliable. You'll be better off tracking down the code that was used to generate the compiled code in the first place.

JustMe

Yes I do have a "Linux" 4GL Development System plus Client Networking on one of my system, the other one has a OE Enterprise RDBMS license, the users have windows XP.
so what steps do I need to do to see the dot "P" files, OR is there someplace else I can find the switches on the dump_, load_ files?

Thanks again ...

A second thing, this looks like one of the things I need, but it is no longer hosted (404 error) I know it is old but it may help me understand, any idea where I can find a copy or similar instructions:
http://www.peg.com/lists/peg/history...rd2.html#00628
(this is a how to use dump_df.p etc ...)
<quote>
URL http://www.progresstalk.com/showthr...ure(without-Data)-through-commandline-utility
Lee Curzon posts.

You need to create a script, called, say, "dumpdf.sh".
This script will call the wrapper program suggested earlier (eg. "mpro -b /path/mydb -p dumpmydb.p" from the Peg link).
<quote/>

or something similar?

Thanks in advance ...

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Yes I do have a "Linux" 4GL Development System plus Client Networking on one of my system, the other one has a OE Enterprise RDBMS license, the users have windows XP.

What matters is whether you have the compiler (4GL Dev Sys) installed on the machine where you want to extract the dictionary code. It is the list of products being installed that determines whether the installer gives you the source. If the machine in question is the database server, where you only installed an RDBMS license, then you don't meet the stated prerequisite.

Stefan

A second thing, this looks like one of the things I need, but it is no longer hosted (404 error) I know it is old but it may help me understand, any idea where I can find a copy or similar instructions:
http://www.peg.com/lists/peg/history...rd2.html#00628
(this is a how to use dump_df.p etc ...)

peg crashed several years ago, the archive was rebuilt - apparently resulting in different message ids. If you google site:www.peg.com load_df you will find similar messages.

Here are the parameters of the various sources (from 10.2B):

load_df.p

Code:
DEFINE INPUT PARAMETER df-file-name AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO.

load_d.p

Code:
/*
Multi-DB-Support:
    the syntax of file-name is:
           [ <DB>. ] <tbl>             [ <DB>. ] <tbl>
        {  ---------------  }  [ , {  ---------------  } ] ...
             <DB>."ALL"                  <DB>."ALL"
    {   -----------------------------------------------------------  }
                        "ALL"

*/
DEFINE INPUT PARAMETER file-name AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO.
DEFINE INPUT PARAMETER dot-d-dir AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO.

dump_df.p

Code:
DEFINE INPUT PARAMETER file-name    AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO.
DEFINE INPUT PARAMETER df-file-name AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO.
DEFINE INPUT PARAMETER code-page    AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO.

dump_d.p

Code:
DEFINE INPUT PARAMETER file-name AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO.
DEFINE INPUT PARAMETER dot-d-dir AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO.
DEFINE INPUT PARAMETER code-page AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO.

JustMe

I tried on both systems but still didn't get any dot p files in the directories
Thanks for the help though.