Enable Large Files Not Working As Expected

Specifics - OE 10.1C databases running on Linux 6.5, both 64-bit
I have a database set that has several large database extent files in excess of 2-Gb that I built with prostrct create. For each of my areas I end with a variable extent. Recently, I had to add a large amount of data to one of my database areas. This caused the variable extent for that area to surpass 2Gb and the database crashed.

According to the documentation, prostrct create will enable large files, if an extent exceeds 2Gb. So ... why did that not happen here?

Fortunately, this was a test database, but I do have to perform this load in production and am leery, to say the least, to do so until I get this resolved.

My test database is created brand new each week with prostrct create, so there is no reason why large files should not be enabled with the structure exceeding the 32-bit limit on many extents.

My plan would be to run proutil using -C EnableLargeFiles at some point, possibly on T-Day. How can I check to see if EnableLargeFiles is active?

Any ideas?

Regards,
David

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Proutil <dbname> -C describe
Code:
   ID   Feature                            Active  Details
  ----  ---------------------------------  ------  -------
     5  Large Files                        Yes
     9  64 Bit DBKEYS                      Yes
    10  Large Keys                         Yes
    11  64 Bit Sequences                   Yes

Thank you!

I have 64 Bit DBKeys, but not any of the others. I know I need ID 5, but what about these others? Sequences are not a concern for me, I don't think. The large keys may be though. I guess I need the proutil values to enable these others as well.

Regards,
David

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Sorry that's just from my DB the output. Large Files is all you're worried about.

TheMadDBA

If any individual extents are larger than 2GB then large files is going to be enabled already. Total extents per area doesn't matter. You can use the proutil command to verify after a restore.

Also check the ulimit for all of the linux users connected to the database to make sure they have unlimited file sizes. If they don't you are still going to have issues.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It could also become an issue for you in future if large index keys are not enabled. This can also be enabled with proutil.