Effect of system clock change when db is running

taqvia

Hi,

Will changing the system(server) time while DB is running will corrupt the DB as the db timestamp and bi timestamp will get corrupt.

Arshad

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Hi,

Will changing the system(server) time while DB is running will corrupt the DB as the db timestamp and bi timestamp will get corrupt.

Arshad

No it will not corrupt the database.

Depending on what version of Progress you're running, on what OS you're doing so and exactly how you go about changing the time the db might, however, decide that it is simpler to shutdown and wait to be restarted.

The simple way to find out what will happen is to test it on a test server with the sports database ;)

taqvia

Thanks Tom For the reply. We are running solaris 5.8 and progress 9.1 E04.
Yeah Even I have decided to be on safe side and shutdown the DB and then change the time.will play with a dummy Db

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Testing is clearly the best path. I know at one point there was a difference in the direction. I.e., moving the time forward was no issue, but it was unhappy when time went backward since timestamps were then in the future. Note too that daylight savings time type adjustments are not an issue since they are based on offsets from a consistent time base in the system. It may also depend on the OS since some have a technique for making a series of extremely small adjustments in order to avoid any one large displacement.