Display a browse row in 2 lines

davidvilla

Hi,
I am using 10.1c.
I need to display a list of records using a browse without horizontal scrolling. The problem is that I have more fields that are not fitting within the frame width. So, I have to display the record in 2 lines. Is there a way I can achieve it with a browse?

I can do it as a array of frames for each record and program it to do all the browse functionality. But I am looking for any easy way that I can achieve this using the existing browse itself.

Stefan

A browse has one set of columns. Can you fit both halves of your record into shared column widths? Does the browse need to be updateable?

Add a field to your temp-table indicating if the record is the first or second half and add that to your current unique key. Since you are needing to squash different fields into one column it will probably be easiest to have all your columns defined as characters. Note that taking data out of its original data type gets ugly quickly - the worst being decimals - when you string( 123, ">,>>>,>>9.99" ) - watch the user's surprise when they want to make the column smaller...

davidvilla

Can you fit both halves of your record into shared column widths?
What do you mean by shared column width. Any example?

Does the browse need to be updateable?
NO. It is just a multi-select browse (fortunate enough :))

Do you mean appending two column values to one?

Stefan

A record with four fields and contents:

A1 B1 C1 D1
A2 B2 C2 D2

Needs to be fit into two columns to prevent scrolling:

A1 B1
C1 D1
A2 B2
C2 D2

At least, that's what I think you are asking. If so, you will need to make sure that A and C and B and D can both live in the confines of the same column.

davidvilla

A record with four fields and contents:

A1 B1 C1 D1
A2 B2 C2 D2

Needs to be fit into two columns to prevent scrolling:

A1 B1
C1 D1
A2 B2
C2 D2

At least, that's what I think you are asking. If so, you will need to make sure that A and C and B and D can both live in the confines of the same column.

yes.. this is exactly what i want. How to do this?

davidvilla

From what i understand is this:
The first part of the record that is to be displayed in the first line will be the first record in the temp-table used in the query to construct the browse and the second part of the record that is to be displayed in the second line should be the second record in the temp-table used in the query to be displayed in the browse. That means there will be 2 records (first line part and second line part) in the intermediate temp-table for every actual record. Is this what you mean?

If that is the case, the selection and navigation will be a problem, isn't it?
Please correct me, if I am wrong.

Stefan

Is this what you mean?

Yes.

If that is the case, the selection and navigation will be a problem, isn't it?

It will not be a problem, it will be some extra work - which is what you get when you get creative and need to do things that the widgets cannot handle natively (maybe, just maybe, the .Net grid can handle this kind of functionality natively?)

For selection for example select / deselect both rows when selecting either. For sorting, you will need something to indicate on which of the two halves you want the user to sort on etc.