Differences speed when i run .W and .R

Xavi_qsoft

Good morning.

I am currently migrating an application from the 9.1D version of progress towards v10.2A.
I find the following problem or question.
I converted the database, from 91d to the 10.2a, until here everything ok.
Applications. W run successfully.
But I find that if the .w are not compiled, the first time I try to run it takes 5 seconds to receive the form, the second time it runs successfully in 1 second, why? this is not happening in the versn 91d
I also discovered that if the .w is compiled with .r this problem is not exist, the first time application runs correctly in 1 second.

Thanks.

vinod_home

.w is source, so it will take time to search other components through the propath and compile it before running the code. Once its run, its cached in memory, so the subsequent runs are faster. For example: If you propath, has rcode before the source code path and if your rcode folder has thousands of programs, that could be one of the reasons.
.r is already compiled code, so it doesnt have to go through the propath to find other parts of the program.

HTH

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Note too that in a production system you generally want to be using .r to avoid the compile at all and -q to avoid the AVM constantly checking to see if there is a newer version. Makes a notable performance difference.

Pavan Yadav

Also, the summarizing for above, .r contains all the code required for the execution of program in itself only. So it dosn't need to serach for the required component. Like .i, called .p, component are already there in compiled format .r. SO most probably this can be the issue only.
Correct me if i am wrong....