Dban report

Hi everybody!!!!

I have two DBs(10.2B) one 700G other 500G in size.
However Dban report is generated in 1 and 1.5 hrs respectively.
Please suggest me why small DB is taking more time.
what factor influence its time.

Secondly how can i reduce time for Dban reports.
Its use to take 2 hrs and 5hrs respectively in 9.1E version.
how can i decide threads to execute in parallel .

Thanks.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
There are lots of reasons why the run times might differ. Basically it boils down to how things are arranged on disk and what order you go through the data. Since I know nothing specific about your situation that's about all that can be said.

To make it faster:

1) Implement type 2 storage areas:

1a) Create distinct areas for large tables.
1b) Group the remaining tables by "ideal" rows per block.
1c) Create distinct areas for the indexes that correspond to the tables.
1d) Ditto for LOBs (if you have any).

2) Take advantage of parallelism -- i.e.:
proutil dbname -C dbanalys areaName > areaName.out &

3) Merge the output files if you'd like.

cj_brandt

Is the db 700gb of allocated space or do the totals for tables and indexes add up to 700gb ?
Not much data provided as to guess why the smaller db takes longer to run the scan, the data may be more scattered in the smaller db. Do both use the same type of storage areas?

To have a dbanalysis complete in 1 hour for 700gb of data would be very very fast. I'd say you might want to look and see how much data you really have in the databases. Perhaps possible with SSD.

You can run the dbanalys for each area in the database - so if the database has 6 areas, you could separate scans for each area - that might allow the scan quicker. Why is it important that they finish faster than 1 hour ??

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
2) Take advantage of parallelism -- i.e.:
proutil dbname -C dbanalys areaName > areaName.out &

Db/tab/idx/chanalys is area-aware? So you mean a feature I wanted is already in the product? Colour me surprised.

Thanks PSC documentation team! :rolleyes: Sheesh. Thanks Tom. Better to learn late than not at all, I guess...