DB size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Dear Sir,

I want to know that how can we get exact size of database when the database in down state?
generally we use promon option 5 and we get database size . but how can we know the size if database in down state. please help me tom

with regards

Mike.

Mike

version 91d
unix aix
i tried to find out the db size and my databases are down state. i want to know if any way to know the size when database is down state.
please help

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Why is it not the right way? It will tell you how much space the db is taking up on disk.

RealHeavyDude

You can use the -estimate parameter with the probkup utility to get a rough estimation on how many blocks would be backed up. But that is only an estimation and I don't know wether that was available in V9.

Other than that you can only do what cringer already suggested: Sum up the sizes of all files that belong to the database.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Mike

Dear cinger , i think u not understand i have database lop.db and its size showing in disk means in Unix aix

by command ls -l *.db*

-rwxr-xr-x 1 dbadmin users 262144 Jan 07 00:28 lop.db

RealHeavyDude

Since V9 all databases are multi-volume database which contain at least the schema area. The .db file does not contain any data - it contains the information which files the database contain in binary form. With prostrct list you can generate the .st file which will contain the information in human readable form. You need to look into the .st file and sum up manually all data extents defined in it.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Cringer

Staff member
Look at the .st file for the database. (If you don't have one then "prostrct list <dbname>" will create one). This will show you all the files associated with the .db file. Tot those up for the size on disk.

Mike

i tried prostrct list but not working ? Is that another way to find out the database size exact. please Tom help me.

Cringer

Staff member
When you say it's not working, what happens? Do you get error messages?

Mike

i m getting error like database not able to write. can any other way to know exact database size when database in down state. ?

Cringer

Staff member
it would help to have the exact error.
you will need permission to write to the location where the database is.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
The prostrct list command creates a new structure file (dbname.st). If you don't have write permission in the database directory then I question why you are doing database administration tasks.

Look up the command syntax; it allows you to optionally write the new structure file to a different location where you do have write access.

When you get error messages, please write them here rather than talking about them in vague terms.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
He appears to believe that only PROMON can report the "exact" size (whatever that is).

It would be helpful to know:

1) What error message? The exact text, copied and pasted, would be nice.
2) What command was used to generate the error? Copy & paste...
3) Why do you want to know this? It may be that knowing "why" would help us to suggest a different approach. Or explain why the number that PROMON is reporting isn't as useful as you think it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.