DB Parameters -S

HT3

Hi,

I'm setting up an application and in the .PF file I've specified the database parameters (See screen shot).

My question is what does the -S parameter point to and what does it do?

I've tried looking in OpenEdge Explorer and can't find it against the database configuration.

1702463068127.png

Thanks

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
-S stands for Service I believe. It's the port number that the broker will listen on. You can either use an integer port value, or in this case you use a character value that is then mapped to that port. In Windows that's in the Services file. Similar is done in Linux but I can't remember off the top of my head where.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
For future reference, in Windows the services file is %windir%\System32\drivers\etc\services. In Unix systems it is /etc/services. It is a mapping of service names to TCP or UDP port numbers.

The -S parameter, when used on a database broker, is what makes it a login broker. The broker binds to the specified TCP port and can accept incoming remote client connections and spawn servers to handle those clients. The -S parameter can be specified on the primary broker, and must be specified on any secondary broker. Each login broker in a database must have its own unique -S value.

When used as a client startup parameter, it causes the client to connect to the specified database via a remote server, by first connecting to the broker that is bound to the port specified by the value of the client's -S parameter.