Cost of Lisensing

SergioC

Good day, I need to pass if anyone knows the cost of licensing in the U.S. for OpenEdge version 11.3 to replace V9.1D products, I'm from Argentina and here I spent the following values in U.S. dollars:

WorkGroup DB 10 users ($ 4,010)
ClientNetworking 10 user ($ 2,190)
AppServer with 2 agents ($ 2,997)

OpenEdge Studio for 1 user. ($ 6,080)

All products include 18% annual maintenance.

Thanks in advance.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You are probably just asking to frustrate yourself by comparing to US prices since there are a variety of prices distributed world wide that vary significantly from mere currency conversion. I can't explain why this is, exactly, but in some cases the distributor is a separate company and I suppose they are building in an extra profit margin. My price list is a little old (but may be the most recent published), but here goes
Workgroup 10 user $2,000*
Client Networking 10 user $1,100 **
AppServer 2 access agent $1000 (implies casual outside users)
OpenEdge Studio 1 user $3,600

* Named user or registered client. If retaining the V9 concurrent user, I think it would be $2500
** Named user or registered client. If retaining the V9 concurrent user, I think it would be $1400

But, what difference that makes, I don't know.

SergioC

You are probably just asking to frustrate yourself by comparing to US prices since there are a variety of prices distributed world wide that vary significantly from mere currency conversion. I can't explain why this is, exactly, but in some cases the distributor is a separate company and I suppose they are building in an extra profit margin. My price list is a little old (but may be the most recent published), but here goes
Workgroup 10 user $2,000*
Client Networking 10 user $1,100 **
AppServer 2 access agent $1000 (implies casual outside users)
OpenEdge Studio 1 user $3,600

* Named user or registered client. If retaining the V9 concurrent user, I think it would be $2500
** Named user or registered client. If retaining the V9 concurrent user, I think it would be $1400

But, what difference that makes, I don't know.

Thanks Tamhas possibly contact you by mail that tells me a representative in the United States to see the possibility of acquiring directly there.
Sincerely,
Sergio.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
People on old versions can still be on maintenance and the upgrade is "free" depending on compatible licenses, i.e., one can't bring forward unlimited machine licenses to new versions and the like, but one can choose to keep concurrent user pricing ... but not to purchase new concurrent users except as add-ons.

USA ISVs ... like PSC ISVs anywhere else ... are not allowed to sell licenses except in conjunction with their application, so the only US source that is allowed to sell just the licenses is PSC themselves, who are not going to cut out the Argentinian source. That's why I said you were probably just frustrating yourself.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Believe me, it isn't the first time it has come up. I was exploring some issues with an Australian company a few years ago and was astounded by what their license costs were until I looked up and found out that is just what they cost there.

BTW, why Studio instead of PDS OE? These days, any functionality of Studio is covered by PDS OE and there is so much more.

RealHeavyDude

One of the reasons for the massive differences in the prices is that Progress defines an exchange rate for the next year somewhere in the summer which includes their expectation on how the exchange rates will develop. And the only will adjust this fictional exchange rate next your for the year after next year. And so on - you'll get the pattern.

Plus, you can be damn sure that this fictive exchange rate is set to a rate so that, even if there are dramatic variations between the currencies on the markte that would disfavour Progress - they will still make their share ...

IMHO, this sucks in times where traders have billions of dollars travel around the world in fractions of a second.

But, don't worry, you didn't even see the Swiss prices yet ...

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

GregTomkins

This thread is depressing. It would be nice if someone posted comparable pricing from Oracle, or someone else who can make these costs look reasonable!

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
The problem with comparing to Oracle pricing is that most people don't pay the amount on any price list, from what I hear. Rather, a price is negotiated. So, one would need an empirical study. I don't know, but this might also be true in PSC direct sales to customers of any size. ISVs, of course, get a discount according to their "level" and there are a substantial number of ISVs who now have Percent of Sale agreements where they get to install any and all components from an agreed list in exchange for PSC getting a percentage of the overall license sale. More complicated rules apply for SAAS, of course.

GregTomkins

For sure, but on the other hand ... I don't think a lot of relatively generic software (if I may so characterize Progress) costs anywhere near $3600 (let alone $6,100) for a single user! Plus 18%!

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Oracle tends to be "cheaper per user". But they make up for that by insisting that you buy a full licenses for everyone in the entire company. Including janitors and groundskeepers... (Don't get me wrong -- there's probably a market waiting for an app there... I just haven't heard of it!)

Then they come along and spread the word that "everyone is already licensed for Oracle -- why pay for any other product?" (How about: "Because this one actually solves our business problem"???)

Then they start selling addons and upcharges...

BTW -- isn't this discussion largely academic? If you have licenses whose maintenance is in good standing you don't need to replace anything to upgrade and your maintenance fee % should go down if you're on a current license. I suppose that it is possible that the Argentinian arrangement is different -- but I think at least one reseller got caught with their hand in that particular cookie-jar and lost their reseller status as a result -- a call to Bedford for some clarification might be a good idea.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
FWIW, Argentina and Chile do have an independent distributor, so one is operating at another level of remove. Of course, it wouldn't be surprising for someone on that old a version to have not been paying maintenance all this time.

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
I've just signed my Annual Maintenance Renewal Order Form and just to give you an example of what I'm paying:
  • OpenEdge Enterprise 8 User Count $2,340.80 AUD which is about $2,139.02 USD per year.
These prices come direct from Progress Software Australia.

If I want to order OpenEdge Studio for 1 user is will cost me approximately $6329.99 USD and that's after I traded in my WebSped Workshop Licence.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I've just signed my Annual Maintenance Renewal Order Form and just to give you an example of what I'm paying:
  • OpenEdge Enterprise 8 User Count $2,340.80 AUD which is about $2,139.02 USD per year.
These prices come direct from Progress Software Australia.

If I want to order OpenEdge Studio for 1 user is will cost me approximately $6329.99 USD and that's after I traded in my WebSped Workshop Licence.

Wow, sorry to hear that. That's *very* different from North American pricing.

RealHeavyDude

Exactly. There were times when Progress generated almost 60% of their revenue in Europe ( UK and Netherlands mainly ) - some 10 years ago. I really doubt that this is still the case nowadays. Probably much higher license costs apart from shutting down ( inofficially of course ) local subsidiaries is one of the biggest factors.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I think the latest number I have heard is something like 52-53%, but I don't know if that is Europe or non-North America. I don't think it has ever been as high as 60% EMEA only, but it has been over 50% non-NA for a long time.

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
I'm I allowed to buy Progress Software from North American or would I just get redirected back to Australia Distribution Channels?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
NA ISVs are allowed to sell Progress licenses *only* in association with their application. PSC NA is obviously going to refer you back to Australia otherwise, why have an Australian distributor/office?