Question connecting appserver from NET client

anoobbhaskar

Hi,
Our webspeed progress application running in 10.2B (HP UNX) has already an interface with .Net through XMLAPI. Unfortunately the interface is not giving the expected results especially poor performance. Both systems are hosted in the same network. We are trying to use the .Net client concept to invoke the appserver code. Please let me know if anybody can give some advise on this?

Would appreciate if you please share a sample scripts.
There is another concept in my mind is the JSON? Need to know how JSON is secure in terms of data transfer?

RealHeavyDude

What are you meaning by ".NET client concept" ? Do you mean the .NET open client that is provided by Progress with the AppServer license that allows you to connect the AppServer ( NOT the WebSpeed Broker ) directly?

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

anoobbhaskar

Yes open client. I would like to know which is the best and cost effective approach if I want a .Net application to connect to the appserver. Performance is the main concern. Can even try prodatasets I believe. I am little confused with the approaches and thinking which one to choose. I cannot take a U-turn after I started that's why seeking advise from the expertise. I may have to send quite high amount of data back to .Net as a response and need to know about the security as well. There could be chances that performance will be slow if I use https .. not sure

RealHeavyDude

IMHO - the best way is to use the open client technology that comes with the AppServer license. We've done a lot with the Java Open Client and all I can say is: It rocks. But I have to admit that I don't have just little experience with the .NET Open Client in particular. I've only done a little bit function-wise but never did any performance tests. But we do that - putting heavy load onto the AppServer from a Java application and so far we did not encounter any performance problems.

Security is a very broad topic. What are your particular concerns other than you can't do something like strong ( two-factor ) authentication on the AppSever with the SSL client certificate as Progress does not support it.?

VivekGupta

Dotnet can connect to progress using proxygen and appserver. It will require app server license. we have our application written using silverlight (dotnet rich user interface RIA) / web service and appserver.

anoobbhaskar

IMHO - the best way is to use the open client technology that comes with the AppServer license. We've done a lot with the Java Open Client and all I can say is: It rocks. But I have to admit that I don't have just little experience with the .NET Open Client in particular. I've only done a little bit function-wise but never did any performance tests. But we do that - putting heavy load onto the AppServer from a Java application and so far we did not encounter any performance problems.

Security is a very broad topic. What are your particular concerns other than you can't do something like strong ( two-factor ) authentication on the AppSever with the SSL client certificate as Progress does not support it.?

We have an appserver license . I am looking for a light weight application which consumes less memory. If its an open client , Do we need to maintain another server to store the open client. Unfortunately I don't have much awareness about how this can be established. Would you mind to share the architecture how you are using for java - progress connection

anoobbhaskar

Dotnet can connect to progress using proxygen and appserver. It will require app server license. we have our application written using silverlight (dotnet rich user interface RIA) / web service and appserver.
Its good to hear that you have some experience on that. Would you mind to share more details about that. What are the prerequisites to set up this and rough cost? would appreciate if you please brief about how you implemented this?

VivekGupta

For dotnet client, it works using proxygen and app server. So architecture is dotnet client --> proxy DLLs --> AppServer --> progress database. Good thing in this architecture is: it interacts with PROGRESS at 4GL level.
For Client, VB, C#, ASP.NET, WPF, Silverlight everything is fine. I worked using Visual Studio 2008 and OE10.2A.

Please email on mailtovivekgupta at gmail.com for details. I can provide more details...

Thanks,
Vivek

RealHeavyDude

ProxyGen is a development tool. It allows you to generate proxies for procedures that run on the AppServer for different technologies. It will either generate a .NET assembly, a Java jar archive or a Web Service definition that you can use with the WSA ( Web Service Adapter ). At this point I must admit that I have no experience with .NET whatsoever.

But, in Java, basically you include the jar(s) that were generated by ProxyGen into your Java project and you are all set. You can then use the objects and their methods to connect to the Progress AppServer and by calling the proxy methods directly invoke ABL procedures on the AppServer. You can even do dynamic invoking without generating a proxy with ProxyGen in the first place but that involves more coding on the Java side.

The documentation you find here includes excellent guides on how to use the Java Open Client for example
https://community.progress.com/tech....openedge-product-documentation-overview.aspx