Clarification required. Reg: Temp-Table Definition

Hi Everybody,
One Quick Question, What is the difference between providing NO-UNDO in a temp-table definition and without the same??? Any Transaction problems?

DEFINE TEMP-TABLE ttUsrProfile NO-UNDO
FIELD iUsrProfileId AS INTEGER
FIELD cProfileType AS CHARACTER.

Thanks in advance...

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
From online help:

Code:
no-undo:
Specifies that when a transaction is undone, changes to the temp-table records
need not be undone. If you do not specify this option,
all records in the temp-table are restored to their prior condition
when a transaction is undone.
The NO-UNDO option can significantly increase the performance
for temp-table updates; use it whenever possible.

Casper.

sunilnair

Hi,

It would probably have been better if you had checked Progress / OE help or the documentation before firing off this question.

But I guess you find it easier asking the question rather than looking things up.

No offense intended , just something that came to mind ....

Cheers
Sunil.

Hi Sunil,
Agreed. But i hope i can get more information than the OE Help in this forum within minutes. If just the information from OE Help is required i know to have a look at that itself. So if u have any thing more to say in this thread just give me.

The comments more than that is not required here. Just passing comments is also easy than answering the questions.

So do try answering the questions and not passing comments on the same. :firemad:

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
saravanakumar,

You will get a much higher quality of answer when it is clear that you have at least tried to read the documentation and obtain a basic understanding of things before you post. Currently it seems painfully obvious that you do not bother to do so. It's sort of insulting that you think so little of our time.

One trick that I picked up a long, long time ago (thanks Mike!) is to create a shortcut to the "Help" icon (the "?" over a page of text that is on the Progress or OpenEdge sub-menu of the Windows start menu). Put that shortcut on your quick launch bar and use it whenever you have a question. I find the "index" tab to be the most useful. Just type in "NO-UNDO" for instance in the case at hand and you'll have all sorts of great information available.

It also helps a lot to have tried some sample code and have some specific questions about that code (which you should post using CODE tags) rather than the extremely basic stuff that you usually post.

The Progress Knowledge Center is also a very, very helpful source of answers. Particularly when you're trying to figure out what an error message means and how to deal with it. You should have a link to this at your fingertips at all times. You have to weed through a lot more junk there but if you do your homework there before you post you will have a much better grip on your problem and you will likely get better responses to your questions.

[crosspost with Tom]

sunilnair said:
It would probably have been better if you had checked Progress / OE help or the documentation before firing off this question.

But I guess you find it easier asking the question rather than looking things up.

Casper's RTFM was subtler.

sunilnair said:
No offense intended

Not strictly true I suspect.

saravanakumar said:
If just the information from OE Help is required i know to have a look at that itself.

Hmmm, that's all the info Casper gave you, and it answered your question, so I understand sunilnairs irritation, though his response was a bit provocative.

Reading back over some of your previous posts, saravanakumar, you are clearly not stupid, but have a tendency sometimes to ask questions which are clarified by the manual, or could be derived by a little experimentation, which can come across as timid or lazy, even if that is not representative of you as a programmer in real life.

I wonder sometimes that as finding information in the documentation is presumably more difficult for those without English as a main language, maybe that is why these sorts of questions tend to come from people still developing their English? I don't know what languages the main docs are translated into, and if the tables were turned, I don't think I'd have much fun working out certain constructs in, say, Tamil.

Perhaps I'm being patronising though and its just idleness.

Anyway, I'm offline (mostly) for a few days, so if this turns into a flame war, its Casper's fault.

popcorn.gif

I do agree my fault in speaking harshly. Very Sorry. I do have my OE help, as well as Handbook in my finger tips. I used to go through all the tutorials. Mind setup of everyone will always be different. I used to post simple questions and get solutions to complex problems very easily.

There is a saying like "If u take care of smaller things then the bigger things will take care by itself".

I do agree that the question was pretty simple and i have also went through the same bit of post that Casper has posted from OE help before i posted the same. So it is known that i am expecting more than the OE helps reference. When Casper initially posted it i didn't get more information than i saw in OE help. So i thought there is nothing much more than the concept mentioned in OE help for this thread. If someone is immediately commenting like this try to look out from my position how harsh it seems to be. I was hurted more.

I don't think posting these simple questions is hurting u a lot. But the post which Sunil gave me hurts me very much. If you think the question that i post is irritating you, then fine i am not going to post anything to this forum hereby. Sorry for my wrong doings.

I do have a couple of years of experience in the same line. I know that this forum gives me a result within 5 to 10 mins. So i luv to post my questions here.

Thanks a lot guys for your help for these many days in answering my questions very patiently.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
But the post which Sunil gave me hurts me very much. If you think the question that i post is irritating you, then fine i am not going to post anything to this forum hereby.

I think you get more positive answers then not, so seems a bit harsh to say this...

Just take the positive message you also get in this thread and don't feel bothered too much about it.

Anyway the more detailed the question, the more detailed the answer will be. So seemingly asking for the obvious will give you the obvious answer.

Casper.

sunilnair

I am sorry to anyone else too , if they felt that my post was unnecessary or too negative or irrelevant or intended to start a flame war (it wasnt ).