Charity, Gaming and Contact Data Sharing: The flexibility of Modulus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michelle Tackabery

Gary Clink

In my pre-event blog post before London’s Apps World Hackfest, I commented we live in an app-driven world. Having seen what the teams at the Hack produced over the course of the two days I believe that more than ever before.

In total, 11 teams participated in the hackfest with six of those taking on the Progress sponsored challenge to host and manage an app through Modulus making it the most popular of the challenge at the event. It never ceases to amaze me the quality and innovation on display when you get a gaggle of developers and laptops in one room, fuelled on coffee and pizza alone!

At the end of the two days I had my own challenge to pick between six very accomplished, very different apps. It really went to show that if you develop using Node.js, Modulus is a great option for the deployment and management of your applications.

And so to our prize winners.

In first place we had FundRun, a hugely clever charity application that was entered into three of the available challenges at the Hackfest: Progress, MasterCard and Razer Nabu. FundRun allows users to create profiles, track friends’ progress towards charity goals and make automatic pledges to charities. Profiles are created on a website developed using Modulus with data stored on a MongoDB database. Users can then track their friends progress towards goals and pledge donations when certain criteria are me. The Razar Nabu smart-band is responsible for tracking metrics towards goals and payments are made through the MasterCard module. Not only was this a great application of Modulus, it has real world potential all the while tapping into the wearable device trend. A worthy winner at any hack.

In second place, we had Simpucations, from the BT mobile development team. As the name suggests, Simpucations makes communications simple. It allows people to pull together all their various contact data with other trusted users of the specially developed ‘@One’ app. Contact details can be shared via QR code and the app also supported live chat capabilities using the Modulus Socket.io module. The entire app was written using Modulus and all the data stored in MongoDB. Again, I really liked how this made an everyday activity easier using technology.

Our final prize winner was the already popular app, Bible Heroes, a popular Bible-themed quiz game. During the hackathon, the team extended the game to use Modulus as a means of storing Profile and User details, as well as question information. The team also incorporated the Razar Nabu as a means of gaining in-game bonuses. Another great app that used Modulus to make the most out of data.

The Hackfest was a huge success and it was great to see people so excited to use modulus. The feedback was really positive.

Once again, congratulations to all the participating teams at the hack—looking forward to the next one already.

Author information

MTcropped.jpg
Michelle Tackabery

Editor, Business Applications Today at Progress Software

An experienced content and social media marketing professional, Michelle writes frequently about the practical applications of information technology.

| Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn |

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.