Can Syteline6 use progress 10?

rainylsh

you mean? all of the .p .w files need be compiled? if then, i think no one want to update progress version.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
What's the point in having source if you're afraid to compile?

(You are making a mountain out of a mole-hill... It really isn't hard nor is it in any way dangerous.)

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
There is no danger if you follow a reasonable procedure. Create a new area in your disk structure for the OE10, install Progress, restore a copy of the database to a new location, convert the DB to 10, do what you want with the DB in terms of changing to Type 2 storage areas, etc., copy your source to a new location, compile that source into a new location of the OE10 R code, and test. This will be completely separate from your production system ... could even be on a totally separate machine. No danger, Complete control. Just good practice and you can test to your heart's content, figure out what you need to know, practice the DB changes for timing and technique, etc.

If you need even more security, involve a consultant to guide you through the process, but really this is all very straightforwarrd.

rainylsh

What you said is realy safety. even has danger, we can restore it.
But what i think is if it has been upgraded, how to make sure all of the progress running ok? Need I spend time as more as possible on testing all of the progress files?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Your first indication that it is OK is that it will compile. There might or might not be a couple bits that won't ... old name conflicts with new keyword or something ... but typically the required changes are minor and obvious. After that, how would you assure yourself that the system is working after making any change? You test it. Run sample work through. Look at the results. Compare it to the production system.

Frankly, I have taken customers through dozens and dozens of version changes and many just do it without a thought beyond keeping a copy of the old version handy just in case.