Broker .pf startup error

JustMe

I am calling a second broker to enable the SQL servertype:
/usr/dlc/bin/proserve -pf /users/dev/db/mffg1SQL.pf

When I call this I receive an error about an -e argument. I cannot find a -e anything within the documents (there is a -E but that is for European numbers)
this is the error:
OpenEdge Release 10.2B05 as of Tue Sep 6 14:17:09 EDT 2011
08:28:05 SERVER : You have not supplied a parameter for argument -e. (1403)

this is the dot pf file:
### +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
# PF-TYPE B "mffg1 Server" no

#
# SESSION,Session-related parameters
#

-m3
-Ma 5
-Mpb 5
# MAIN,mffg1
-db /users/dev/db/mffg1
-H progress
-S 2639
-N tcp
-B 20000
-ServerTyep SQL

### +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

as always thanks for any and all help

Just as an aside: I tried proserve -? and also –help -–help and others, to no avail

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Not sure about your particular problem, but it's a good idea to put your -S parameters into your services file with a sensible name so that if you change ports you don't need to change the startup scripts etc.

JustMe

Not sure about your particular problem, but it's a good idea to put your -S parameters into your services file with a sensible name so that if you change ports you don't need to change the startup scripts etc.

I have three environments prod, test and dev, and four db per. seems easier to me to keep the port numbers in the .pf files. I try to not to modify the standard server's files (i.e. services). It will come back to haunt me someday, miss a step, step on other parameters, in the procedure and spend weeks looking for something like this (OK this one would be obvious in the error log :-S ). If I have to change the .pf files I have a script that will do this for me, it will parse through all three environments and correct each dot pf (all four dbs pulse two SOL brokers if I can get the .pf working for these brokers) for me. (we are consistent on our port numbers)

but, thanks for the advice, it is always appreciated!

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Fair enough, but how will anyone know that 2639 is prod/dev/test or whichever?

JustMe

Fair enough, but how will anyone know that 2639 is prod/dev/test or whichever?
the people that create the ini files (me) have a document list stored with the rest of the documents. the OE is set up with each environment db (ports for SQL broker) and of course we have a readme on the server. and if you are really curious you may also look at the update script. (the readme is updated by my script) so I do have to keep the document synced with the actual ports (but I also have to do the same thing for any other change) (plus the numbers are consistent, the 9 is always dev and the 3 is always the main database (2539)

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
-ServerTyep SQL

You have a typo in "ServerType".

Just as an aside: I tried proserve -? and also –help -–help and others, to no avail

Progress utils don't have POSIX-style command-line help.

This is not necessary and will be ignored. You only specify buffer parameters on the primary broker, as they apply to shared memory. It already exists by the time the secondary broker starts.

Also, I'm with Cringer on the use of service names. Develop a service and database naming convention that works for you and stick with it. And make a habit of putting meaningful comments with date stamps in your services file. You'll eventually be glad you did.